Skip to main content

Roundup of Weird Auction Mechanics

Hello hello.  It’s Friday, and I’m done with work, I figured I’d get this week’s blog post out prior to the last minute.  So I’ve got Meet Me At the Altar blaring and the kettle’s just gone so let’s carry over some momentum!

Giving you a sneak peek here to try and hold myself accountable: I’ve been wanting for a while to do a series of Mechanic Mondays where I take M:tG abilities and spin out what they could look like as the primary mechanic of a standalone board game.  I’ve got just a couple other ideas I want to get through before I kick that off - and I’d like to get a buffer of 2 or 3 of those together to start with, to ensure the idea has legs.  Particularly since I don’t actually play MtG myself (although Strixhaven sure seems like a good entrypoint into playing, considering I haven’t bought Magic cards or built a deck since I was a magical high school student myself).

Anyhow - that’s yet to come.  For the time being, I still want to write a year-end reflection on boardgame mechanical takeaways from my favourite videogames of 2020, and of course, today’s topic: a roundup of all my weird auction mechanics!

So! We’ve got

Oh.  Okay.  Alright, so there weren’t actually that many.  I think that the looseness of my iterating possibilities for each mechanic led me to think that I’d written more mechanics than I had.  But the reality is, that not even all of the mechanics above are auction-related.  Half of them are just mechanics that can be applied to auctions.  You know what I think it is? I’ve got a lot of stuff about drafts, and there are a fair number of auction draft or other draft-related things on there.  But let’s look at what we’ve got anyway! I often think about how many of my orphaned mechanics can be combined - not all of them, or willy-nilly, but there’s definite synergy to be mined.  And I think that the auction mechanics I’ve outlined in my MMs could be standalone games, but would still work well together.  A recurrent theme in the selected posts is the idea of bidding on Lots that contain mechanically different things: Currency, Victory Points, Abilities; I like non-discrete trade because it obscures absolute values, and places more decision-making on the subjective judgment of the players.  When you have to make apples-to-oranges comparisons, it’s harder to settle on the optimal play, and you have to let other considerations guide your choices.  I also just think it’s neat: the idea that instead of just bidding on a painting, you’re bidding on a painting, plus either $20 or an IOU for $50 next week, plus the ability to make next week arrive sooner.  Game-affecting abilities also help each player grow distinct from their peers.

Heh - I’ve just noticed that one of the above posts is from almost exactly a year ago.  I’d just started in my new role at the dayjob and wasn’t sure if I’d like it.  Well, 367 very strange days later, I’m thriving in it, and believe that working simultaneously keeping up on technical writing, creative writing, and the games writing that lies somewhere between those two, is good for all three.  And I’ve written damn near a blog post every week since then.  So here’s to - more of that.

This post, while thinner than I’d thought, does make me think it might be worth coming up with a list of possible player powers to acquire, and rules for the wealth-dependent states, to try combining the mechanics above into one game.  Minus Formalized Cheating, I think - and possibly without Debt Markers, or a watered down version.  Could be fun for a larger project down the line.

Anyhow, we’ll see about that once I clear my current design plate out a little bit.  For the time being - have a good one, and catch you next week.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

TTRPG Tuesday: Three Means Of Resolving

Hi it’s another TTRPG Tuesday! First of the year.  Let’s get right into it. Saw a challenge on Twitter to make some resolution mechanics.  I can do those! Here we go: Hand to Hand The player performing the action and the person running the game or otherwise opposing the action both put their dominant fists toward one another, bounce them three times to get a rhythm, and reveal a number with their fingers, 0-5.  Sum the two numbers, and if the number is greater than 5, subtract six, so that the final number is always between 0 and 5.  On a 0, the action fails catastrophically, on a 1-2 it fails, 3-4 it succeeds, on a 5 it succeeds spectacularly.  The player taking the action starts the game with all five fingers up on their non-dominant hand; after an attempt, they may lower fingers on that hand to add to the sum of the attempt. Ex. Alice attempts to seduce Cat’s character over to the coup conspirators.  They put their dominant hands together (right for Alice, left for Cat) and thro

TTRPG Tuesday: Beliefs as Roles

  Hello from high above the Rockies, as I make my way back to Chicago from Big Bad Con 2023.     This was my first con in five years, and only my second ever.     I had a better time at it than I did at GenCon, which I understand derives largely from this being an industry con vs a consumer show.     I made a modest number of purchases but it was easy to stick to the constraints of my limited luggage space, which was fine; shopping and new releases were not the attraction here.     Gaming, panels, and (as I soon learned) networking were. This con was certainly less overwhelming and I think my expectations were clearer and my FOMO much lighter, but I’ll readily admit that I had a lot to learn.    I misunderstood or made mistakes regarding almost every event I signed up for, including happy accidents like sitting in on the wrong panel only to learn a ton, or expecting a mending workshop to be about fixing one’s writing when the application was rather more literal, which was a fascinat

TTRPG Tuesday: Minimum Viable Product for WWDW?

Hello and welcome back to TTRPG Tuesday! I’ve put together a barebones introductory document for We Won, Didn’t We? and, well, I think it speaks for itself.  Check it out HERE ! This introduces the skeleton of the game, as well as walking through the steps; I’d say next up is a rudimentary character sheet, and maybe I can bring this to a Playtest Zero session and see what folks think of character creation within one of the starting Bulbs.  I’ve opened the doc up for comments, so if you have thoughts dear reader, fire away.  Brain fried, go read the doc, til next time!