Skip to main content

Mechanic Monday: Wealth-Dependent Player States

Did I mention that I've started in a new department at my day job? It's true! It's a writing-centric job, which I balked from for a long time, but a tiny amount of time in, it hasn't soured me on writing yet.  If anything, my time on this Earth has led me to think that perhaps a balance can be struck, between being ground beneath the heel of capitalism (in this one, particular instance) and bEiNg FuLfIlLeD, I can hone my writing skills without burning out.  Famous last words!
But anyhow, that's one reason that I've been able to catch back up on my podcasts, stay atop my theatre's agenda, and write these very articles, which no one reads.  I don't actually mind that no one reads them by the way.  No, honest! People see my plays and talk to me about them and it makes me want to die, whether they're being positive or negative, so frfr it's nice to just have a quiet little corner of Al Gore's Internet where I get my reps in working both sides of my brain without any real consequence.
I also want to peel back the curtain a bit on my process for this blog.  I keep a Google Doc for it, where I start various entries (most eventually become a full-blown MM, in time) underneath a list of possible mechanics to dive into and tinker around in.  Mechanics pop into my head all the time, and tend to bounce around the old rock tumbler for a bit before seeing the light of day.  Not always though; sometimes the post gets written before anything even hits the Google Doc.  As is self-evident from this blog, sometimes what emerges is at least a little refined, or honed over the course of a series of interconnected mechanics (what up Amberlodge and Fantasy GM Squared), and sometimes it's still just a raw lump of potential.  Today's is the latter.

Wealth-Dependent Player States
In GREEM, you engage in a series of auctions or tricks to build wealth and turn it into victory points.  Depending on how much you have of either resource, however, different rules apply to you.  For instance, the lead player must always bid first; no player with more ten wealth may bid more than a quarter of their total wealth; the leader of a category is the one with the highest tens digit but the lowest ones digit; etc.  Various rules, which change game to game, act as regulations to ensure tight competition.

So let’s be upfront: It’s a fancy-schmancy rubber band mechanic.  An entrant into that reviled family of mechanisms that all amount to a spiked blue shell wearing a variety of false mustaches.  But I like it! I envision each player having a board where the wealth track and the VP track both have milestones to avoid or to strategically reach for; as well as certain tokens that are claimed and auctioned and passed around (I love any game where you can trade in rules or even first-place status).  I can see the auction lots comprising of mixed ratios of Wealth and VP; ongoing sources of income (which may increase in value, or dry up randomly, at a certain time, or according to the whims of the market), various player powers and shields against the regulatory rules; cool shit like that.  Maybe inject a little bit of the old Birch Crown set-building DNA in there? Let’s ride THOSE coattails to nowhere.
Ah, self-deprecation.  That thing everyone likes reading, which never puts off or depresses the audience.  What a joy.  Anyway, here’s another Mechanic Monday in the books! Have a not terrible week!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

TTRPG Tuesday: Three Means Of Resolving

Hi it’s another TTRPG Tuesday! First of the year.  Let’s get right into it. Saw a challenge on Twitter to make some resolution mechanics.  I can do those! Here we go: Hand to Hand The player performing the action and the person running the game or otherwise opposing the action both put their dominant fists toward one another, bounce them three times to get a rhythm, and reveal a number with their fingers, 0-5.  Sum the two numbers, and if the number is greater than 5, subtract six, so that the final number is always between 0 and 5.  On a 0, the action fails catastrophically, on a 1-2 it fails, 3-4 it succeeds, on a 5 it succeeds spectacularly.  The player taking the action starts the game with all five fingers up on their non-dominant hand; after an attempt, they may lower fingers on that hand to add to the sum of the attempt. Ex. Alice attempts to seduce Cat’s character over to the coup conspirators.  They put their dominant hands together (right for Alice, left for Cat) and thro

TTRPG Tuesday: Beliefs as Roles

  Hello from high above the Rockies, as I make my way back to Chicago from Big Bad Con 2023.     This was my first con in five years, and only my second ever.     I had a better time at it than I did at GenCon, which I understand derives largely from this being an industry con vs a consumer show.     I made a modest number of purchases but it was easy to stick to the constraints of my limited luggage space, which was fine; shopping and new releases were not the attraction here.     Gaming, panels, and (as I soon learned) networking were. This con was certainly less overwhelming and I think my expectations were clearer and my FOMO much lighter, but I’ll readily admit that I had a lot to learn.    I misunderstood or made mistakes regarding almost every event I signed up for, including happy accidents like sitting in on the wrong panel only to learn a ton, or expecting a mending workshop to be about fixing one’s writing when the application was rather more literal, which was a fascinat

TTRPG Tuesday: Minimum Viable Product for WWDW?

Hello and welcome back to TTRPG Tuesday! I’ve put together a barebones introductory document for We Won, Didn’t We? and, well, I think it speaks for itself.  Check it out HERE ! This introduces the skeleton of the game, as well as walking through the steps; I’d say next up is a rudimentary character sheet, and maybe I can bring this to a Playtest Zero session and see what folks think of character creation within one of the starting Bulbs.  I’ve opened the doc up for comments, so if you have thoughts dear reader, fire away.  Brain fried, go read the doc, til next time!