Skip to main content

Let’s Build A Stupid Party Game

Oh pickles it’s Sunday night and I haven’t written a post yet for the week. I was also two days late for my Accountability Club email so I think it’s safe to say that the muse just isn’t with me this week. But such is the nature of my mind’s workings, that I’m once again going to jam in something of indifferent quality at the last minute just to keep my streak alive.

So I’ve got… nothing.  So today I’m going to give myself a low-chance-of-success design challenge: A Party Game. Oh, I don’t mean I have a mechanic in mind! Heavens no. No I’m just going to write until an idea comes to me!

So let’s start big, with that old Experience-First approach. When I think of successful party game experiences, one of the key elements is limited time. A timer removes the potential for analysis paralysis, and does the neat trick of both raising and lowering the stakes. In the immediate term, the stakes are raised because of the limited decision space. In the longer term, the stakes are lowered because of the decreased investment and subsequent opportunity for repeat play. I also think the more players are engaged at once, the better; certainly there’s potential in making players long for their turn to come around, but is it worth the Quarter on the Arcade Cabinet frustration? For the purposes of our exercise, let’s say no; in fact, let’s go for simultaneous play, but with dropping in and out between rounds.

Alright, next up let’s talk about how we’re going to get engagement. You know what people love? Weighing in. Judging. Having a goddamn opinion. And you know what people have mixed feelings about, but which I love? A theme. It’s the damnedest thing - A significant amount of the time, I’d rather a Euro just be featureless white cards and counters but when it comes to party games I get annoyed at the abstractness. It’s almost like I have my preferences and my standards are more or less realistic or fair based on those preferences. ALMOST. So how about for our game? I want a leadership thing. Pirate captain would kind of necessitate some sort of underhanded mechanic, Office manager is too ironically mundane, how about a military paste-on? How about we name the game after a famous General: General Consensus.

So why General Consensus? General, because we’ll have two sides for every decision that the players will judge, with the General managing the proceedings. And Consensus because the game will be about best predicting or shaping the Group Mind.

Am I… just about to reinvent Quiplash? Hmm. Let me… put aside for the moment the ways in which I would move in a different direction from Quiplash. How about instead; A Tournament? Called Bracketeering? A topic (maybe just an adjective) is chosen by the previous round’s winner, and then each player submits an answer for it, and then the answers are put into a bracket and voted on.

For General Consensus, maybe it’s not about judging funny answers, but about superlatives. Who present is the most likely to (have a deep dark secret)? Outrun a bear? Be an undercover cop playing the long game? And the General is the person who has voted in the majority the most times; and the person who determines which two people are being considered for each superlative.

Both ideas feature lots of voting, and the timing thing comes down to twenty seconds to generate content and ten seconds per vote. Clear winners, lots of chances to drop out and come back in. So hey! Two for the price of one. And maybe I’ll write down some formal rules for Bracketeering, or come up with a set of cards for General Consensus. Anyway, that’s all for this week! Buhbye now.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

TTRPG Tuesday: Three Means Of Resolving

Hi it’s another TTRPG Tuesday! First of the year.  Let’s get right into it. Saw a challenge on Twitter to make some resolution mechanics.  I can do those! Here we go: Hand to Hand The player performing the action and the person running the game or otherwise opposing the action both put their dominant fists toward one another, bounce them three times to get a rhythm, and reveal a number with their fingers, 0-5.  Sum the two numbers, and if the number is greater than 5, subtract six, so that the final number is always between 0 and 5.  On a 0, the action fails catastrophically, on a 1-2 it fails, 3-4 it succeeds, on a 5 it succeeds spectacularly.  The player taking the action starts the game with all five fingers up on their non-dominant hand; after an attempt, they may lower fingers on that hand to add to the sum of the attempt. Ex. Alice attempts to seduce Cat’s character over to the coup conspirators.  They put their dominant hands together (right for Alice, left for Cat) and thro

TTRPG Tuesday: Beliefs as Roles

  Hello from high above the Rockies, as I make my way back to Chicago from Big Bad Con 2023.     This was my first con in five years, and only my second ever.     I had a better time at it than I did at GenCon, which I understand derives largely from this being an industry con vs a consumer show.     I made a modest number of purchases but it was easy to stick to the constraints of my limited luggage space, which was fine; shopping and new releases were not the attraction here.     Gaming, panels, and (as I soon learned) networking were. This con was certainly less overwhelming and I think my expectations were clearer and my FOMO much lighter, but I’ll readily admit that I had a lot to learn.    I misunderstood or made mistakes regarding almost every event I signed up for, including happy accidents like sitting in on the wrong panel only to learn a ton, or expecting a mending workshop to be about fixing one’s writing when the application was rather more literal, which was a fascinat

TTRPG Tuesday: Minimum Viable Product for WWDW?

Hello and welcome back to TTRPG Tuesday! I’ve put together a barebones introductory document for We Won, Didn’t We? and, well, I think it speaks for itself.  Check it out HERE ! This introduces the skeleton of the game, as well as walking through the steps; I’d say next up is a rudimentary character sheet, and maybe I can bring this to a Playtest Zero session and see what folks think of character creation within one of the starting Bulbs.  I’ve opened the doc up for comments, so if you have thoughts dear reader, fire away.  Brain fried, go read the doc, til next time!