Skip to main content

TTRPG Tuesday: Let's Do That Hockey

Yo uh is it another TTRPG Tuesday? I think it is!

I said I’d bring something to Playtest Zero on Thursday, and you know what’s been rattling around my head? Well, Channelers still, and Cold Iron Company, but today in particular: this post on mechanics inspired by Blue Lock.  But I don’t want to make the Blue Lock fan game - I want to take an already insane feeling system and map it on a world I care more about - Tartans Hockey Live!

THL is, as everyone knows, the narrative fiction podcast series that exists entirely in my head and various Google docs, following a ragtag team of players in the fictional Hockey Elite League, which includes games played atop a moving train, trapped in a time loop, or in the shadow of Goshzilla, the Great Lakes Kaiju.  While THL follows a specific cast, I think for this game (which I might call Outside Edges or WHEEL BABY WHEEL or the Top Shelf system) we’ll play a lot looser, somewhere in the middle of the “This Is An Insane Approach To A Real Sport” of Blue Lock and the “This Is Pure Fantasy That Happens To Be Hockey” of THL.

So let’s start with the basics:

  • The gameplay covers the Training Camp for an HEL team, with hopefuls looking to earn a contract and a roster spot, with some NPC coaches and existing players
    • Or is this a brand new team and they’re competing to be the starters?
    • All players share control of NPCs
  • There are pvp challenges, semi-coop challenges, and solo challenges
    • One of these is a scrimmage where you personally get 3 points if you score a goal, and -1 point if you get an assist
    • The solo challenges should be journaling or some other genuine solo system, heads down
    • Solo challenges include drills both sane (fastest lap, hardest shot) and otherwise (blindfolded sniping, skating with something other than the puck)
  • A la Nightwitches, there is the pervasive challenge of being undermined by sexism outside your job, and while you’re trying to do it
    • You do not have the time or money to do what you were born to do, and getting a roster spot will be a huge accomplishment and also make that balance even harder
  • I do want to do all that stuff from the last post, about weapons as skill cards.  Part of me thinks it’s weird to put such crunchy technical details in a setting that flirts with being too unrealistic, but that’s the fun of the challenge I guess
    • Relatedly, perhaps some of the skills should be related to doing impossible or non-hockey things: A skill card for being resistant to magic, or Being a Nepo Baby
    • Perhaps what will make this marriage of real and unreal work is a deadpan commitment to taking the unserious deadly seriously: Even if the players laugh, the characters never are
  • Does… everybody win? In the sense that all the player characters ultimately achieve their goal of making it as roster players, whatever the pecking order may be, and the only actual eliminations are explicitly or implicitly NPCs? Or is it dramatically interesting to tell the story of someone who cannot overcome the odds (which is the perpetual tale of the THL characters?)

Alright, now for an MVP to bring to Playtest Zero, I think I need two basic starting challenges, and the beginnings of a skill tree, tack on a conflict resolution mechanic or two, and the bones of a character sheet.  Can I do that by Thursday night, on top of my other commitments (including literally playing hockey twice tomorrow)? We’ll see!

Til next time.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

TTRPG Tuesday: Three Means Of Resolving

Hi it’s another TTRPG Tuesday! First of the year.  Let’s get right into it. Saw a challenge on Twitter to make some resolution mechanics.  I can do those! Here we go: Hand to Hand The player performing the action and the person running the game or otherwise opposing the action both put their dominant fists toward one another, bounce them three times to get a rhythm, and reveal a number with their fingers, 0-5.  Sum the two numbers, and if the number is greater than 5, subtract six, so that the final number is always between 0 and 5.  On a 0, the action fails catastrophically, on a 1-2 it fails, 3-4 it succeeds, on a 5 it succeeds spectacularly.  The player taking the action starts the game with all five fingers up on their non-dominant hand; after an attempt, they may lower fingers on that hand to add to the sum of the attempt. Ex. Alice attempts to seduce Cat’s character over to the coup conspirators.  They put their dominant hands together (right for Alice, left for Cat) and thro

TTRPG Tuesday: Beliefs as Roles

  Hello from high above the Rockies, as I make my way back to Chicago from Big Bad Con 2023.     This was my first con in five years, and only my second ever.     I had a better time at it than I did at GenCon, which I understand derives largely from this being an industry con vs a consumer show.     I made a modest number of purchases but it was easy to stick to the constraints of my limited luggage space, which was fine; shopping and new releases were not the attraction here.     Gaming, panels, and (as I soon learned) networking were. This con was certainly less overwhelming and I think my expectations were clearer and my FOMO much lighter, but I’ll readily admit that I had a lot to learn.    I misunderstood or made mistakes regarding almost every event I signed up for, including happy accidents like sitting in on the wrong panel only to learn a ton, or expecting a mending workshop to be about fixing one’s writing when the application was rather more literal, which was a fascinat

TTRPG Tuesday: Minimum Viable Product for WWDW?

Hello and welcome back to TTRPG Tuesday! I’ve put together a barebones introductory document for We Won, Didn’t We? and, well, I think it speaks for itself.  Check it out HERE ! This introduces the skeleton of the game, as well as walking through the steps; I’d say next up is a rudimentary character sheet, and maybe I can bring this to a Playtest Zero session and see what folks think of character creation within one of the starting Bulbs.  I’ve opened the doc up for comments, so if you have thoughts dear reader, fire away.  Brain fried, go read the doc, til next time!