Skip to main content

TTRPG Tuesday: More World Seeds??

What the heck, why not another TTRPG Tuesday? There’s no law against it is there? And even if there is, I’d say my approach to this blog makes it abundantly clear that I care little for the breaking of laws.  I’m back with more World Seeds for Spectres of Brocken (link to the upcoming KS: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ehronlime/spectres-of-brocken) just like last time, almost like I kept thinking about them and this is just a part two to my previous entry.


Bone Metal

Necromancy was supposed to fix everything.  It promised a utopia unending, and instead we got an empire on whom the Sun neither sets nor rises.  People live and toil the same as they ever did, but do so now under black skies as the charnel houses spew their fumes around the clock.  And no longer is death any sort of release, for the souls of the departed now power the mighty constructs that stalk this blasted Earth.  Wrought from obsidian and onyx and tarnished silver, pitted iron and smooth carbon, but most of all from bone: The Ghost Engines.  Moving, chain and staff-wielding monuments to the hollow majesty of the sorcerous few whose petty squabbles scar and ravage the world.  The Conductors of these mechanical abominations draw from the ancestral spirits of their bygone bloodlines to control their charges - but will they side with and serve the powers that be? Or has the time come at last to throw off shackles and Eat the Lich?

The Woodcutter Hymn

1600, by the reckoning of the new Gregorian calendar.  4297 by the Chinese calendar, 11.19.1 by the Mayan.  45 years ago, the world changed.  Just as humanity began to understand its place in the universe, the universe came to us.  The Infernals descended from the sky, cities were razed in an instant, and an army beyond mortal imagination stood poised to enslave or exterminate our race.  But in the silence of the Gods, Fate smiled strangely upon us with a plague, one that humanity weathered poorly but which felled the Infernals entirely.  Within a month, the would-be conquerors were gone, their foul work unfinished, their rapacious machines quiet, inert.  As we struggled to rebuild, the tools closest to hand were those selfsame vehicles.  The means of our annihilation became the key to a Bright Age, as we learned and applied the secrets of the Infernals.  Now the world spins fast as a coin, each new day bringing with it some novel wonder born of Infernal technology.  But as time slips by, the memory fades, of a world united in common cause.  Ancient enmity and modern betrayals wait to burst forth, as the Infernal Woodcutters are turned once again to their original purpose: the waging of war, and the scouring of the land.

Gearworld!

You’re 13 years old, you’ve just gotten your Gear operator’s permit, you and your pet Compsognathus are ready to embark on a journey to become a Gear Operator: Master-Class.  Travel across the different regions of the Continent, learning mechanic skills, engaging in Gear jousts with fellow Permit operators and itinerant Instructors, and gaining new Cogs to power up your Gear.  The friends you make and travel with will form memories you’ll never forget - not even in the bitter conflict waiting in the wings.  The coming war will change everything - but that’s not your problem yet.  Right now all you have to do is figure out how to install that Cog, feed your pet dino, and read up on the Gear Master Guidebook before tomorrow’s joust.  Your destiny awaits - one glorious day at a time.


Alright, time to cop to the influences: for Bone Metal, I wanted to do a setting that wasn’t just “sufficiently advanced technology”, but literal magic.  Plus I’ve been reading a looooot of necromancy books (Bone Shard Empire, Old Kingdom, Locked Tomb) so that’s naturally the school of magic my mind went to.  For The Woodcutter Hymn, I wanted to look to the past, not the future; so this is a chance for an alternate history / period piece.  Definitely lighter on the specifics but that’s meant to encourage people to think about the cultures (not just Western) that preceded our modern states, and how those might’ve turned out differently.  Not inspired by anything in particular, though that’s absolutely why I asked this question on Twitter (https://twitter.com/FinCoe/status/1551426158293651456).  And finally for Gearworld! that’s just pokemon baby, along with every other low stakes bildungsroman anime I watched as a kid (though to be extra truthful, I should specifically credit the fanfic “Pokemon Fire Strike” by Uiru, which was a defining text for me).  Not a damn thing wrong with the old pocket monsters, and you can still tell an emotionally wrought as fuck story with em.

Alright, that’s three (was going to be two but I did two last week and WE ALL KNOW HOW I FEEL ABOUT THE NUMBER FOUR) and plenty to be getting on with.  Again, check out Aaron Lim (@ehronlime) on Twitter for more about Spectres of Brocken, and thanks as always for reading.  Til next time!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

TTRPG Tuesday: Three Means Of Resolving

Hi it’s another TTRPG Tuesday! First of the year.  Let’s get right into it. Saw a challenge on Twitter to make some resolution mechanics.  I can do those! Here we go: Hand to Hand The player performing the action and the person running the game or otherwise opposing the action both put their dominant fists toward one another, bounce them three times to get a rhythm, and reveal a number with their fingers, 0-5.  Sum the two numbers, and if the number is greater than 5, subtract six, so that the final number is always between 0 and 5.  On a 0, the action fails catastrophically, on a 1-2 it fails, 3-4 it succeeds, on a 5 it succeeds spectacularly.  The player taking the action starts the game with all five fingers up on their non-dominant hand; after an attempt, they may lower fingers on that hand to add to the sum of the attempt. Ex. Alice attempts to seduce Cat’s character over to the coup conspirators.  They put their dominant hands together (right for Alice, left for Cat) and thro

TTRPG Tuesday: Beliefs as Roles

  Hello from high above the Rockies, as I make my way back to Chicago from Big Bad Con 2023.     This was my first con in five years, and only my second ever.     I had a better time at it than I did at GenCon, which I understand derives largely from this being an industry con vs a consumer show.     I made a modest number of purchases but it was easy to stick to the constraints of my limited luggage space, which was fine; shopping and new releases were not the attraction here.     Gaming, panels, and (as I soon learned) networking were. This con was certainly less overwhelming and I think my expectations were clearer and my FOMO much lighter, but I’ll readily admit that I had a lot to learn.    I misunderstood or made mistakes regarding almost every event I signed up for, including happy accidents like sitting in on the wrong panel only to learn a ton, or expecting a mending workshop to be about fixing one’s writing when the application was rather more literal, which was a fascinat

TTRPG Tuesday: Minimum Viable Product for WWDW?

Hello and welcome back to TTRPG Tuesday! I’ve put together a barebones introductory document for We Won, Didn’t We? and, well, I think it speaks for itself.  Check it out HERE ! This introduces the skeleton of the game, as well as walking through the steps; I’d say next up is a rudimentary character sheet, and maybe I can bring this to a Playtest Zero session and see what folks think of character creation within one of the starting Bulbs.  I’ve opened the doc up for comments, so if you have thoughts dear reader, fire away.  Brain fried, go read the doc, til next time!