Skip to main content

TTRPG Tuesday: Layout Constraints and Worldbuilding Specificity

Welcome back to another TTRPG Tuesday! Although I’m still chugging along in MtG and therefore have all sorts of Out of Mana-ish neurons firing, I’m in an RPG state of mind in terms of what I want to noodle out, so that’s what we’re doing.  Still disorganized though, so have some more stream of consciousness bullets:

  • For The Envy of Ajax, my analysis of the pamphlet situation yields these data points: 3 columns each for the GM and the Players, and the columns can each fit:
    • 1 dense table
    • 2 manageable tables
    • 3 small tables
    • 5 paragraphs totaling >1000 characters.
  • Mixing and matching those fundamentals will get me where I need to go, and maybe I start with layout to determine my actual design constraints, particularly since I tend to go raw unbroken up text before sorting, which might hurt me in this case.
  • I’ve never played a DM/GM-less RPG myself.  I’ve read some, sure, but to be honest that constraint is the most challenging part of the Button Shy challenge.  For that reason I think it might be easier for me to approach this from the mechanic / more boardgame side of it, rather than the storytelling aspect? I dunno, I also (personally) don’t much care for “storytelling”/”pitch”/”writing prompt” style board or card games, which often fall under the party or prove-your-clever-social-skills genres.  So I guess it’s good knowing that that’s something I want to avoid.
  • So what’s the experience that I want to create with, say The Riders? (I should be working on my Kamen Rider play instead of this right now, so if I’m going to do games writing I’m going to channel that side of things.)  Here are some beats I want to hit:
    • This isn’t Sentai: Riders may work together toward specific goals or against common enemies, and over time they may develop deeper bonds, but they are not inherently a team, and although a Rider may organically emerge as a leader, there’s no Red Rider designation going on, and I want that to come out when the non-active players are bringing conflict to life for the active player.
    • Theme: Car Cops.  Photography Dimension Travelers.  Martian Engineers.  Private Detectives with Split Personalities.  Corporate Menagerie.  Anti-Fascist Mutant Grasshoppers fffs.  Kamen Rider has so many wild themes, and I want that part to be collectively built by the players as part of setup, which will then naturally feed into their Ridersonas and how those fit the theme (including any later evolutions / suit upgrades).
    • Speaking of, man there’s nothing better than a new costume.  I think recent series have gone… a little overboard with them lately.  If I can reduce them to a very few instances, and tie them to major milestones baked into the rhythm of the game, I think the expanded feeling of power and agency is a great thing to grant in bursts.  I also think that there can be benefits to not taking the upgrades, to staying true to your origins, or placing your ideals above your quest for power.
    • So what’s on the cards? Well… hm.  If I want them to be applicable to any kind of Rider theme, should I keep them theme-general but make them Kamen-trope-specific? Or am I on the wrong track here? After all, it’s not like most toku enemies have a goddamn thing to do with the theme of the Riders.  Maybe instead I pay homage to the fact that minions, enemies, and bosses are often just a bizarre, incongruous collection of whatever concepts or costumes were available.  Yeah.  Let’s do that, to start anyway.

That’s enough for the time being.  I’ve got to figure out if I’m playing games or watching a movie tonight, and I’ve got to hop on my family’s Zoom call at 10 either way.  Stay righteous, kick fascists.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

TTRPG Tuesday: Three Means Of Resolving

Hi it’s another TTRPG Tuesday! First of the year.  Let’s get right into it. Saw a challenge on Twitter to make some resolution mechanics.  I can do those! Here we go: Hand to Hand The player performing the action and the person running the game or otherwise opposing the action both put their dominant fists toward one another, bounce them three times to get a rhythm, and reveal a number with their fingers, 0-5.  Sum the two numbers, and if the number is greater than 5, subtract six, so that the final number is always between 0 and 5.  On a 0, the action fails catastrophically, on a 1-2 it fails, 3-4 it succeeds, on a 5 it succeeds spectacularly.  The player taking the action starts the game with all five fingers up on their non-dominant hand; after an attempt, they may lower fingers on that hand to add to the sum of the attempt. Ex. Alice attempts to seduce Cat’s character over to the coup conspirators.  They put their dominant hands together (right for Alice, left for Cat) and thro

TTRPG Tuesday: Beliefs as Roles

  Hello from high above the Rockies, as I make my way back to Chicago from Big Bad Con 2023.     This was my first con in five years, and only my second ever.     I had a better time at it than I did at GenCon, which I understand derives largely from this being an industry con vs a consumer show.     I made a modest number of purchases but it was easy to stick to the constraints of my limited luggage space, which was fine; shopping and new releases were not the attraction here.     Gaming, panels, and (as I soon learned) networking were. This con was certainly less overwhelming and I think my expectations were clearer and my FOMO much lighter, but I’ll readily admit that I had a lot to learn.    I misunderstood or made mistakes regarding almost every event I signed up for, including happy accidents like sitting in on the wrong panel only to learn a ton, or expecting a mending workshop to be about fixing one’s writing when the application was rather more literal, which was a fascinat

TTRPG Tuesday: Minimum Viable Product for WWDW?

Hello and welcome back to TTRPG Tuesday! I’ve put together a barebones introductory document for We Won, Didn’t We? and, well, I think it speaks for itself.  Check it out HERE ! This introduces the skeleton of the game, as well as walking through the steps; I’d say next up is a rudimentary character sheet, and maybe I can bring this to a Playtest Zero session and see what folks think of character creation within one of the starting Bulbs.  I’ve opened the doc up for comments, so if you have thoughts dear reader, fire away.  Brain fried, go read the doc, til next time!