Skip to main content

RPG Ramblings

I was planning on completing my daily mission in MTG Arena, and finishing up the blog post I’d started, and maybe getting some playwriting done, but instead I did other very fun and very productive things last night and I have absolutely no regrets.  So since I missed my chance to do TTRPG Tuesday on schedule, we’re going to do a “Whatever I Want Wednesday” - and what I want is to do my TTRPG Tuesday post a day late.  That’s called a compromise! Enjoy.

Ok, I’m “participating” in a study right now, so I’ve got some time to kick out some more thoughts for this week’s - TTRPG Tuesday! I’ve been thinking non-stop about The Envy of Ajax, and I downloaded What A Terrible Night so that I could get an idea of the amount of information in a pamphlet RPG, and how that information is presented.  I can visualize the trifold pamphlet stood up, like a DM screen, with Setup and Player information on the outside, perhaps map/environment, and enemies, story beats, items and their consequences on the inside.  The research complex is called the Bullseye, because it’s roughly laid out in concentric circles.   Maybe the players need to provide 2d6 to track their movement through the map (which ring and which sector).

Also, Button Shy just announced the return of the 18-card design contest, and this time they’re looking for RPGs.  18 poker-sized cards, up to 3 pages of rules, optionally 1 player sheet per player, 3d6 or 1 set of RPG dice.  I’m thinking two different paths:

  • The Margaret Cycle: A system vs a specific game, and a narrative experiment.  Eight cards are arrayed overlapping to form a ring, and each card (double-sided?) is a fantastic (but not fantasy-specific) concept - The Adversary, the Humble Beginning, the Betrayal, the Broken Sanctuary, the Dispossessed Native, the Old Manor, the Tool of Unmaking, etc. Maybe cards have a Location side (which itself has opposing versions for each edge) and an Event side (Events also include characters, and also have opposing or at least different versions for each edge).  Outside the initial ring, an Event is played on each location.  The dice and the player’s resource management and roleplaying choices can cause a card to switch which edge is active, or even move a card further down the path / swap it for one further down.  Events can be acquired? Locations can have a die left there to claim it for a special ongoing use, at the expense of whatever dice are used for? Maybe the initial ring of Locations is laid out, but upon encountering each Location, one player (rotating) draws the next Event card, introduces the Location, and the players explore the location as led by the Event player, until that card is organically revealed.  Narrative structure will not conform to standard Western arcs; instead we’ll rely on apophenia for the players to create the shape of the story where there is no authorial intent.
  • Riders.  A Kamen Rider RPG for 3-4 players.  Each player has a character sheet, to draw their fucken Rider on if nothing else.  Six of the cards are laid out, and on their turn, a Rider must challenge a card - it may be a Monster, a Rival Rider, an Event, a Location (which will cause a new non-Location card to be drawn and added), or Rider Clash (wherein the active player must face off against another PC, for whatever reason the players agree upon).  The player to the active player’s left runs the active player through the challenge.  Cards have a variable Strength equal to the number of completed challenges divided by 3 rounded up.  Players have a Will, Health, and Righteous Rage resource, tracked on their player sheet, which may be spent to win dice-based combat or may be taken away as the cost of the challenge.  Some completed challenges are kept as equipment, bonds, or other permanent advantages - a player may only have 1 (or 2?) advantages, and any new advantages they acquire require them to discard down.

Well, that’s enough for now, it being after midnight my time and all.  Til next time, whenever I decide that to be!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

TTRPG Tuesday: Three Means Of Resolving

Hi it’s another TTRPG Tuesday! First of the year.  Let’s get right into it. Saw a challenge on Twitter to make some resolution mechanics.  I can do those! Here we go: Hand to Hand The player performing the action and the person running the game or otherwise opposing the action both put their dominant fists toward one another, bounce them three times to get a rhythm, and reveal a number with their fingers, 0-5.  Sum the two numbers, and if the number is greater than 5, subtract six, so that the final number is always between 0 and 5.  On a 0, the action fails catastrophically, on a 1-2 it fails, 3-4 it succeeds, on a 5 it succeeds spectacularly.  The player taking the action starts the game with all five fingers up on their non-dominant hand; after an attempt, they may lower fingers on that hand to add to the sum of the attempt. Ex. Alice attempts to seduce Cat’s character over to the coup conspirators.  They put their dominant hands together (right for Alice, left for Cat) and thro

TTRPG Tuesday: Beliefs as Roles

  Hello from high above the Rockies, as I make my way back to Chicago from Big Bad Con 2023.     This was my first con in five years, and only my second ever.     I had a better time at it than I did at GenCon, which I understand derives largely from this being an industry con vs a consumer show.     I made a modest number of purchases but it was easy to stick to the constraints of my limited luggage space, which was fine; shopping and new releases were not the attraction here.     Gaming, panels, and (as I soon learned) networking were. This con was certainly less overwhelming and I think my expectations were clearer and my FOMO much lighter, but I’ll readily admit that I had a lot to learn.    I misunderstood or made mistakes regarding almost every event I signed up for, including happy accidents like sitting in on the wrong panel only to learn a ton, or expecting a mending workshop to be about fixing one’s writing when the application was rather more literal, which was a fascinat

TTRPG Tuesday: Minimum Viable Product for WWDW?

Hello and welcome back to TTRPG Tuesday! I’ve put together a barebones introductory document for We Won, Didn’t We? and, well, I think it speaks for itself.  Check it out HERE ! This introduces the skeleton of the game, as well as walking through the steps; I’d say next up is a rudimentary character sheet, and maybe I can bring this to a Playtest Zero session and see what folks think of character creation within one of the starting Bulbs.  I’ve opened the doc up for comments, so if you have thoughts dear reader, fire away.  Brain fried, go read the doc, til next time!