Skip to main content

Mechanic Monday: Further Faster Higher Outer of Mana

Alright, I’ve gotten way too little sleep, my blue light blocker glasses broke, and my eyes are exhausted.  So let’s get right to it today, shall we?

Piece Height as Rank

GREEM is played on a checkerboard, rotated by 45 degrees.  Each player has a corner opposite the other, and the same setup of one empty square, two stacks of three checkers, three stacks of two checkers, and four single checkers.  All pieces may move four spaces at a time, but stacks of two can change directions once, and stacks of three can change directions twice.  Pieces that move into a space occupied by an opposing piece may capture (remove) the opposing piece, as long as the capturing piece is of the same or greater height.  Pieces of lesser height may not move through or capture pieces of greater height.  The game ends when one player has lost all the pieces of two heights (singles, stacks of two, or stacks of three).

So this, believe it or not, is Flying.  The feeling that the mechanic invokes, of opening up additional dimensions to the playing field, an elevated plane that pieces can play upon, while still being able to swoop down and stomp lesser pieces.  The version above uses all 16 checkers of each colour on a checkerboard, but it’s probably also worth testing with like, four more checkers so that the single corner piece is a stack of four.  I would then also want to test being able to capture pieces one taller than the aggressor, to allow a little punching up, or perhaps some way to allow lesser pieces to remove height from stronger pieces.  If I kept the setup as is, perhaps a shoot-the-moon win is if a player occupies the opposing player’s empty corner space.  I threw this together quickly but it feels like a chewy abstract with some room to fuck around, and enough difference to set it apart.

That’s it! Til next time, which will (eyes permitting) be a TTRPG Tuesday tomorrow.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

TTRPG Tuesday: Three Means Of Resolving

Hi it’s another TTRPG Tuesday! First of the year.  Let’s get right into it. Saw a challenge on Twitter to make some resolution mechanics.  I can do those! Here we go: Hand to Hand The player performing the action and the person running the game or otherwise opposing the action both put their dominant fists toward one another, bounce them three times to get a rhythm, and reveal a number with their fingers, 0-5.  Sum the two numbers, and if the number is greater than 5, subtract six, so that the final number is always between 0 and 5.  On a 0, the action fails catastrophically, on a 1-2 it fails, 3-4 it succeeds, on a 5 it succeeds spectacularly.  The player taking the action starts the game with all five fingers up on their non-dominant hand; after an attempt, they may lower fingers on that hand to add to the sum of the attempt. Ex. Alice attempts to seduce Cat’s character over to the coup conspirators.  They put their dominant hands together (right for Alice, left for Cat) and thro

TTRPG Tuesday: Beliefs as Roles

  Hello from high above the Rockies, as I make my way back to Chicago from Big Bad Con 2023.     This was my first con in five years, and only my second ever.     I had a better time at it than I did at GenCon, which I understand derives largely from this being an industry con vs a consumer show.     I made a modest number of purchases but it was easy to stick to the constraints of my limited luggage space, which was fine; shopping and new releases were not the attraction here.     Gaming, panels, and (as I soon learned) networking were. This con was certainly less overwhelming and I think my expectations were clearer and my FOMO much lighter, but I’ll readily admit that I had a lot to learn.    I misunderstood or made mistakes regarding almost every event I signed up for, including happy accidents like sitting in on the wrong panel only to learn a ton, or expecting a mending workshop to be about fixing one’s writing when the application was rather more literal, which was a fascinat

TTRPG Tuesday: Minimum Viable Product for WWDW?

Hello and welcome back to TTRPG Tuesday! I’ve put together a barebones introductory document for We Won, Didn’t We? and, well, I think it speaks for itself.  Check it out HERE ! This introduces the skeleton of the game, as well as walking through the steps; I’d say next up is a rudimentary character sheet, and maybe I can bring this to a Playtest Zero session and see what folks think of character creation within one of the starting Bulbs.  I’ve opened the doc up for comments, so if you have thoughts dear reader, fire away.  Brain fried, go read the doc, til next time!