Skip to main content

Unordered Thoughts On Hierarchy of Information

Alright I have written 70 goddamn pages in this blog by now.  It’s the end of another week that has gotten away from me, largely because I’ve been in a lot of goddamn meetings, my work is launching an entire new Resource Center on Monday, I’ve been preparing for a reading of the 38 (???) pages I’ve somehow written on my current play, and which I just heard.  Good news, the pages are very bad! More time for games writing.  Or, I suppose, I could improve the play pages.  We’ll see which wins out.

As it’s far too late for a Mechanic Monday or a TTRPG Tuesday, I think I’ll just chat a bit about hierarchy of information today.  And of course let’s frame it in terms of experience.  Now, for a play, particularly one that disregards unity of time and chronological order, you can present information however you please.  I generally tell my students that they need to have an intention that they’re fulfilling, but you could present it randomly, just to be a piece of shit.  But if you drop your audience into the middle of the action, if you deprive them of any frame of reference or context, they’re less likely to engage, or know how to meaningfully or fully engage.  Lights up on two characters, both bleeding from the mouth, glaring at one another.  Who do you side with? Who do you hope for and invest in? When one of them says that the police will be there momentarily, what can that possibly mean to you if you have nothing else to go on?

Now, again, you don’t need to tell every story chronologically.  You just need to have an intention for the order in which you present the beats of the story.  Confusion and action and tension can shake up an audience and get their adrenaline going, and require that they actively watch with skepticism and intellectual curiosity.  The nonsensical first scene can serve a sensical purpose depending on what is shown next.  Is it a flashback? Does a narrator intrude? Do the actions of one of the characters eventually compel the audience to side with or against them?

Of course, games are somewhat more straightforward.  Generally, you’re not trying to make the audience of a rulebook jump through mental hoops.  Rather, you want to shorten the time and space between when they don’t and do understand the game and how it’s played.  You want them to do less questioning and more accepting.  There’s a reason that most rulebooks follow a formula: Game Statistics (player count, duration, age range) > Synopsis > Objective > Components > SetUp > Course of Play (And sub-heirarchy of scope) > Ending the Game.  It draws the magic circle one degree at a time, to bring the player from ignorance and real life, to knowledge of (and an acceptance to reside within) the world of the game.  Generally speaking the above also follows a chronology.  The Setup, of course, comes before the tallying of victory points.  But the Synopsis and Objective are helpful to have at the beginning to provide a microcosm of the entire game that is to come, a glimpse of the big picture; particularly because knowing how things end may affect the first choices you make during the onset.

Ah, but what about when you have items that fall outside of or get lost in the spaces between the above categories? How do you order your apples and oranges? Obviously Combat, Healing, and Equipment go somewhere in between Character Creation and Character Death, but how do you prioritize them? My recommendation, to reduce scrolling back up and down and searching: arrange your sections according to how they refer to one another.  If you have “Apples: Like oranges, but with an edible red skin and white consistent flesh” and “Oranges: A superior fruit”, list Oranges first, so that the reader has everything they need to read the section on Apples.  Likewise, you probably don’t need to know what Healing is until you understand the Combat that necessitates it, and if all of your Equipment has to do with Combat and Healing, we don’t need that information until we know what both of those things are.

Welp, it’s Saturday now because Baby Sitter’s Club on Netflix ate up the rest of my Friday night and I was too busy having feelings to finish the post.  But it’s time to wrap this up so I can start… preparing for the post for next week, which… starts in two days.  Oy vey.  Til next time!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

TTRPG Tuesday: Three Means Of Resolving

Hi it’s another TTRPG Tuesday! First of the year.  Let’s get right into it. Saw a challenge on Twitter to make some resolution mechanics.  I can do those! Here we go: Hand to Hand The player performing the action and the person running the game or otherwise opposing the action both put their dominant fists toward one another, bounce them three times to get a rhythm, and reveal a number with their fingers, 0-5.  Sum the two numbers, and if the number is greater than 5, subtract six, so that the final number is always between 0 and 5.  On a 0, the action fails catastrophically, on a 1-2 it fails, 3-4 it succeeds, on a 5 it succeeds spectacularly.  The player taking the action starts the game with all five fingers up on their non-dominant hand; after an attempt, they may lower fingers on that hand to add to the sum of the attempt. Ex. Alice attempts to seduce Cat’s character over to the coup conspirators.  They put their dominant hands together (right for Alice, left for Cat) and thro

TTRPG Tuesday: Beliefs as Roles

  Hello from high above the Rockies, as I make my way back to Chicago from Big Bad Con 2023.     This was my first con in five years, and only my second ever.     I had a better time at it than I did at GenCon, which I understand derives largely from this being an industry con vs a consumer show.     I made a modest number of purchases but it was easy to stick to the constraints of my limited luggage space, which was fine; shopping and new releases were not the attraction here.     Gaming, panels, and (as I soon learned) networking were. This con was certainly less overwhelming and I think my expectations were clearer and my FOMO much lighter, but I’ll readily admit that I had a lot to learn.    I misunderstood or made mistakes regarding almost every event I signed up for, including happy accidents like sitting in on the wrong panel only to learn a ton, or expecting a mending workshop to be about fixing one’s writing when the application was rather more literal, which was a fascinat

TTRPG Tuesday: Minimum Viable Product for WWDW?

Hello and welcome back to TTRPG Tuesday! I’ve put together a barebones introductory document for We Won, Didn’t We? and, well, I think it speaks for itself.  Check it out HERE ! This introduces the skeleton of the game, as well as walking through the steps; I’d say next up is a rudimentary character sheet, and maybe I can bring this to a Playtest Zero session and see what folks think of character creation within one of the starting Bulbs.  I’ve opened the doc up for comments, so if you have thoughts dear reader, fire away.  Brain fried, go read the doc, til next time!