Skip to main content

Mechanic Monday: Kingdom Crafting from Different Sources

It may have started as a salvage/cop-out but I enjoyed doing last week’s TTRPG Tuesday.  I need to set aside some designated writing time, and some of that should be game build time - and perhaps I can ease from one to the other with some of the aforementioned scenario building.  An idea I particularly liked from back when I studied improv was to always maximize specificity.  My best friend still quotes “Cough Medicine is good.  Robitussin is better.  Waltussin is best”, and for better or for worse it has put in me a dread of generalities and vagueness.  We all want to connect with our audiences, we all want that universal or timeless experience.  But I think that you have to be timely to be timeless, and you can’t be universal if you’re not you.
Lol so anyway, I’m trying to think of the little details that can make those Company scenarios more tangible and strange.  Weathervane could be in a desert, and not just any desert but the Sonoran or the Gobi.  The Sorcerer’s Laboratory could be in an inaccessible cave complex, claustrophobic and filled with umbraphilic life, or on four floors at the top of a skyline-defining record-holding Shard, or connected to the sewer system for easy, illicit disposal.  DOLLIE could be on a luxury liner that lazily follows Spring, or in the stolen husk of a poisoned township.  Are any of these a period-specific one-shot? Lots of chewy goodness here.
Well, now that I’ve flanneled on, how about an utterly unrelated Mechanic?

Kingdom Crafting from Different Sources
In GREEM, your Kingdom is a tableau in front of you comprised of cards from a number of different sources.  The initial Geography is determined by a player-unique deck of cards that you array during setup; Events come from the Fate and Fortune decks, which you draw from at the end of your turn and play onto a card or card pile in your Kingdom; Merchant cards are drafted from the hands of Caravan cards that pass from one player to the next; Noble cards are purchased from a common market in the center of the play area; Artifacts can be unearthed from the discard piles of previous ages; cards provide extra benefits when played to a Spoils pile but can be forcibly taken by other players in combat; resource cards can be freely bartered; Legend cards can be claimed at any time once their conditions have been met.

So this idea popped into my head while reading a Dan Thurot review, of Monumental.  Dan’s critiques of games are high level enough that they spark a lot of thoughts, as instead of copy-pasting from the rulebook, he usually discusses mechanics from a more abstract impact-based point of view.  It’s certainly had an influence on my Experience First theory of writing.  The raw idea that came from reading his civ-building thoughts was that, were I to make a civ-builder, instead of a pure draft or a pure market, cards acquisition should be diverse, and the types and purposes of cards should thematically match the means by which they are acquired.
So that’s it.  I don’t know how high on my list Building A Civ Builder is, nor do I want to devalue the work of the civ-building games out there.  This is just an expression of my Heidi Chronicles based belief that in creative works, both form and function deserve consideration, and should be designed in harmony.
That’s this week’s ramble! Catch you next week, thanks for reading, Ima go knead some dough now.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

TTRPG Tuesday: Three Means Of Resolving

Hi it’s another TTRPG Tuesday! First of the year.  Let’s get right into it. Saw a challenge on Twitter to make some resolution mechanics.  I can do those! Here we go: Hand to Hand The player performing the action and the person running the game or otherwise opposing the action both put their dominant fists toward one another, bounce them three times to get a rhythm, and reveal a number with their fingers, 0-5.  Sum the two numbers, and if the number is greater than 5, subtract six, so that the final number is always between 0 and 5.  On a 0, the action fails catastrophically, on a 1-2 it fails, 3-4 it succeeds, on a 5 it succeeds spectacularly.  The player taking the action starts the game with all five fingers up on their non-dominant hand; after an attempt, they may lower fingers on that hand to add to the sum of the attempt. Ex. Alice attempts to seduce Cat’s character over to the coup conspirators.  They put their dominant hands together (right for Alice, left for Cat) and thro

TTRPG Tuesday: Beliefs as Roles

  Hello from high above the Rockies, as I make my way back to Chicago from Big Bad Con 2023.     This was my first con in five years, and only my second ever.     I had a better time at it than I did at GenCon, which I understand derives largely from this being an industry con vs a consumer show.     I made a modest number of purchases but it was easy to stick to the constraints of my limited luggage space, which was fine; shopping and new releases were not the attraction here.     Gaming, panels, and (as I soon learned) networking were. This con was certainly less overwhelming and I think my expectations were clearer and my FOMO much lighter, but I’ll readily admit that I had a lot to learn.    I misunderstood or made mistakes regarding almost every event I signed up for, including happy accidents like sitting in on the wrong panel only to learn a ton, or expecting a mending workshop to be about fixing one’s writing when the application was rather more literal, which was a fascinat

TTRPG Tuesday: Minimum Viable Product for WWDW?

Hello and welcome back to TTRPG Tuesday! I’ve put together a barebones introductory document for We Won, Didn’t We? and, well, I think it speaks for itself.  Check it out HERE ! This introduces the skeleton of the game, as well as walking through the steps; I’d say next up is a rudimentary character sheet, and maybe I can bring this to a Playtest Zero session and see what folks think of character creation within one of the starting Bulbs.  I’ve opened the doc up for comments, so if you have thoughts dear reader, fire away.  Brain fried, go read the doc, til next time!