Skip to main content

Mechanic Monday: Fingers! As! Pawns!

I am tired and I start rehearsals tomorrow and haven’t started memorizing in earnest yet because I finally booted up Stardew Valley on Switch and I’ve got a new save file that’s starting its first summer off right and I don’t know if I’m going to marry any of the townsfolk or just take care of all the elderly characters, get the singles to fall in love with me and then move in with Krobus.  Anyway here’s MechaMon.
Today’s mechanic has been kicking around for a bit, and has mostly been passed over for a post because it’s kind of inherently goofy.  I was buzzedly rambling to some folks this past weekend about how “games writing” is the hot new scramble for would-be playwrights in the same way that voiceover is going to magically make every improviser I know super-rich, but that games writing is more interesting to look at for its emergent narrative potential than as screenwriting 2.0.  For playwrights in particular - come on! You come from a writing tradition that is forever clawing its way out of sepulchral vacuum.  Let the novelists script out the static blocks of text; steal and adapt Brecht’s theatre-sports experience design concepts and make something that will take over the player’s heart and mind.
Anyway here’s a stupid idea that kind of reads like Twister with your hands lol

Fingers as Pawns
In GREEM, actions are claimed by the fingers of your dominant hand, and resources are tracked by the fingers of your non-dominant hand.  Only one finger may be moved at a time; all other fingers must be able to remain in place.  Attempting to do this and failing results in the loss of an action and a reset to the previous state.  Players begin with only one pawn and only one resource, but unlock/purchase more as the game goes along.  The game ends when a player maxes out their track on three resources.

Ok, so… yes.  This is dumb and dextrous and bonkers and vague.  But honestly, that’s a less interesting design challenge to me than this is: It’s an inherently unequal game.  The size of a player’s hands, the flexibility of their digits, both of these represent an innate disparity in player potential that is generally sought-after in sport but disdained in tabletop.  And how to account for players with a number of extremities different than the norm? Is it acceptable to agree to play to a player’s literal handicap? Could this game be more adaptive than it is? And does that run with or against the aforementioned natural inequality between players?
Big questions! No answers.  Gotta get that maple syrup so I can make a beehive.  Good talk everyone, see you next week.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

TTRPG Tuesday: Three Means Of Resolving

Hi it’s another TTRPG Tuesday! First of the year.  Let’s get right into it. Saw a challenge on Twitter to make some resolution mechanics.  I can do those! Here we go: Hand to Hand The player performing the action and the person running the game or otherwise opposing the action both put their dominant fists toward one another, bounce them three times to get a rhythm, and reveal a number with their fingers, 0-5.  Sum the two numbers, and if the number is greater than 5, subtract six, so that the final number is always between 0 and 5.  On a 0, the action fails catastrophically, on a 1-2 it fails, 3-4 it succeeds, on a 5 it succeeds spectacularly.  The player taking the action starts the game with all five fingers up on their non-dominant hand; after an attempt, they may lower fingers on that hand to add to the sum of the attempt. Ex. Alice attempts to seduce Cat’s character over to the coup conspirators.  They put their dominant hands together (right for Alice, left for Cat) and thro

TTRPG Tuesday: Beliefs as Roles

  Hello from high above the Rockies, as I make my way back to Chicago from Big Bad Con 2023.     This was my first con in five years, and only my second ever.     I had a better time at it than I did at GenCon, which I understand derives largely from this being an industry con vs a consumer show.     I made a modest number of purchases but it was easy to stick to the constraints of my limited luggage space, which was fine; shopping and new releases were not the attraction here.     Gaming, panels, and (as I soon learned) networking were. This con was certainly less overwhelming and I think my expectations were clearer and my FOMO much lighter, but I’ll readily admit that I had a lot to learn.    I misunderstood or made mistakes regarding almost every event I signed up for, including happy accidents like sitting in on the wrong panel only to learn a ton, or expecting a mending workshop to be about fixing one’s writing when the application was rather more literal, which was a fascinat

TTRPG Tuesday: Minimum Viable Product for WWDW?

Hello and welcome back to TTRPG Tuesday! I’ve put together a barebones introductory document for We Won, Didn’t We? and, well, I think it speaks for itself.  Check it out HERE ! This introduces the skeleton of the game, as well as walking through the steps; I’d say next up is a rudimentary character sheet, and maybe I can bring this to a Playtest Zero session and see what folks think of character creation within one of the starting Bulbs.  I’ve opened the doc up for comments, so if you have thoughts dear reader, fire away.  Brain fried, go read the doc, til next time!