Skip to main content

Mechanic Monday: (Determining) Victory Condition by (Process of) Elimination

Another Monday, another post! I’m going to keep this brief again, since I need to work on a grant application for my theatre company.  That’s a much more urgent demand, but I think knocking out a bit of hybrid technical/creative writing real quick will help me get my brain in the right gear *neck tie zipping sound*.  I start rehearsals for a play (my first acting gig in a while) at the end of the month, and it feels like my plate’s just very full right now.  Lo que sea! Onward.
Today’s mechanic has been on my possibility list for a while.  It sat there because I could visualize it and how it would play out fairly easily, but it doesn’t completely inflame my imagination with potential, you know? But one thing I’ve learned about writing is that it’s worthwhile to write even when you’re not saturated with inspiration, to play the long odd that you’ll hit gold, and to de-couple your writing time from struck-by-creative-lightning time.  With that in mind, here’s today’s mechanic

Victory Condition By Elimination
In GREEM, the game begins with twenty-four potential victory conditions.  On a player’s turn, they claim a victory condition card to add to their tableau.  This removes the victory condition from contention, but provides a resource or an action to the player who claims it.  Play proceeds until all but one victory condition has been claimed; the final remaining condition establishes the circumstances for declaring the victor.  The player who meets those criteria is the winner.

Huh.  See, this right here is why I hop even into holes that don’t seem that deep; because the act of exploration is more valuable than your initial perception of it can ever guarantee.  It wasn’t until I began writing out that rules paragraph that it occurred to me that the way you qualify for victory can be based on what you take.  Likewise, I won’t know until I try and playtest this whether there are any other surprises (pleasant or otherwise) about the depth of choice in player action here.  Try everything folks.  It’s game design, if you’re not learning and having fun, literally what is the point.  See you next time!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

TTRPG Tuesday: Three Means Of Resolving

Hi it’s another TTRPG Tuesday! First of the year.  Let’s get right into it. Saw a challenge on Twitter to make some resolution mechanics.  I can do those! Here we go: Hand to Hand The player performing the action and the person running the game or otherwise opposing the action both put their dominant fists toward one another, bounce them three times to get a rhythm, and reveal a number with their fingers, 0-5.  Sum the two numbers, and if the number is greater than 5, subtract six, so that the final number is always between 0 and 5.  On a 0, the action fails catastrophically, on a 1-2 it fails, 3-4 it succeeds, on a 5 it succeeds spectacularly.  The player taking the action starts the game with all five fingers up on their non-dominant hand; after an attempt, they may lower fingers on that hand to add to the sum of the attempt. Ex. Alice attempts to seduce Cat’s character over to the coup conspirators.  They put their dominant hands together (right for Alice, left for Cat) and thro

TTRPG Tuesday: Beliefs as Roles

  Hello from high above the Rockies, as I make my way back to Chicago from Big Bad Con 2023.     This was my first con in five years, and only my second ever.     I had a better time at it than I did at GenCon, which I understand derives largely from this being an industry con vs a consumer show.     I made a modest number of purchases but it was easy to stick to the constraints of my limited luggage space, which was fine; shopping and new releases were not the attraction here.     Gaming, panels, and (as I soon learned) networking were. This con was certainly less overwhelming and I think my expectations were clearer and my FOMO much lighter, but I’ll readily admit that I had a lot to learn.    I misunderstood or made mistakes regarding almost every event I signed up for, including happy accidents like sitting in on the wrong panel only to learn a ton, or expecting a mending workshop to be about fixing one’s writing when the application was rather more literal, which was a fascinat

TTRPG Tuesday: Minimum Viable Product for WWDW?

Hello and welcome back to TTRPG Tuesday! I’ve put together a barebones introductory document for We Won, Didn’t We? and, well, I think it speaks for itself.  Check it out HERE ! This introduces the skeleton of the game, as well as walking through the steps; I’d say next up is a rudimentary character sheet, and maybe I can bring this to a Playtest Zero session and see what folks think of character creation within one of the starting Bulbs.  I’ve opened the doc up for comments, so if you have thoughts dear reader, fire away.  Brain fried, go read the doc, til next time!