Skip to main content

Mechanic Monday: Refining

Today’s Mechanic Monday is a little different, because this mechanic is muuuuuch fuzzier than the last couple.  It’s got a couple different directions it could go, but that potential is less fun than for the Action Wheel or the Conflict Chips because it’s actively getting in the way of my current design.  So today’s post is as much about talking out the problem, as it is sharing something shiny and fun and new.
So I’ve been playing a lot of Stardew Valley.  As in, I bought a laptop this month specifically so that I could play Stardew, and so that my wife could play the Sims.  This is my first time buying a computer in… 12 years.  Games, they motivate us! Or something.  My sister plays, and I first tried the game on her Switch when I visited her last month, and a couple of my friends play it, and something that stuck with me was someone describing a playthrough as “I’m just building a maple syrup farm” and honestly that sounded terrific to me.  *I* wanted to build a maple syrup farm.  All these years later, I have.  Stardew’s very fun, and I like the amount of growing, crafting/development, and scaling up of your resource engine.
Two more little things.  A few years back, Trader Joe’s sold cartons of “maple water”, supposedly the sap straight from a sugarmaple tree, the precursor to syrup.  I liked the idea more than the product itself.  Trader Joe’s discontinued it pretty quickly.  A few years after that, a friend on FB shares photos of the syrup he made on his rural Illinois property.  I thought about how maybe somewhere in between being water and syrup, the sap might be good for brewing beer.  Can you brew beer from maple sap, I wondered? People make mead by adding honey to water, can you just cut out the middle man? And if you can make light alchohol, can you distill it into hard liquor?
That’s what’s been kicking around in my head for the last week or so.  A solo game, about a guy who’s retreated to the woods, to a little log cabin, determined to farm and distill his way out of debt, and sort out his life after the chaotic upheaval of a rough couple of years.
All of which brings us to today’s mechanic: Refining!

Refining
The player acquires one lot, a set amount of mixed resources from a primary producing source, in a set ratio: 8 of x, 2 of y.  They can take actions to remove x or y from this set; once the ratio of the lot has reached a particular recipe (2:1 x:y) all the remaining resources in the lot can be converted into a different product and sold off.
In Amber Lodge (extremely working title), the sap you pull from a maple tree is 9 water, 1 sugar.  You can place this lot in an Evaporator, and spend actions to remove water from the Lot.  Doing so reduces the ratio of water to sugar.  Once it reaches a 1:1 ratio, you can replace all those waters and sugars with syrup, and sell that off.  Or, prior to that, when the lot is at a 3:1 ratio, you can move the lot to a fermenter, and take actions to convert 1 sugar and 1 water into 2 alchohol.  Perhaps you’ll then end up with a lot containing 2 water and 2 alchohol.  You could sell that as beer, or move the lot to a still, then take actions to remove water from the lot until all that remains is pure alchohol, which you could sell as whisky
Here’s some pictures!





Does that help? I’ve been told gamers are visual people.  Repeatedly.
Worth noting: I feel the need to say “Turns 1x1y into 1y” instead of “Remove 1x” because… otherwise what’s to stop you from putting beer in an evaporator to remove water? Which I need to prevent because, that’s not how alchohol works (it’s literally the opposite).  It’s not a big wrench to throw into people’s understanding of how a function works, and it clarifies what you can and can’t use a function for.
Anyway.  I’m a bit torn on whether this mechanic should use bags of cubes or decks of cards; I think the Evaporator and Still functions will always be cards, but that the resources can be either cubes (as pictured above) or cards (which allow for a lot more information and keywords).  And the ratios have given me trouble, but actually typing all this up and making the pictures has clarified it for me.  Anyway, lots of ways to use this refining mechanic.  You could retheme it for mineral or data mining, you could use it in a game to catch and turn intelligence assets; in Amber Lodge, I picture that you can eventually add refined lots, or add pure water or sugar back into the process (if you have a surplus of sugar but need to make more beer for instance).  Lots of room to do things.
Okay gonna go make some mockup cards now.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

TTRPG Tuesday: Three Means Of Resolving

Hi it’s another TTRPG Tuesday! First of the year.  Let’s get right into it. Saw a challenge on Twitter to make some resolution mechanics.  I can do those! Here we go: Hand to Hand The player performing the action and the person running the game or otherwise opposing the action both put their dominant fists toward one another, bounce them three times to get a rhythm, and reveal a number with their fingers, 0-5.  Sum the two numbers, and if the number is greater than 5, subtract six, so that the final number is always between 0 and 5.  On a 0, the action fails catastrophically, on a 1-2 it fails, 3-4 it succeeds, on a 5 it succeeds spectacularly.  The player taking the action starts the game with all five fingers up on their non-dominant hand; after an attempt, they may lower fingers on that hand to add to the sum of the attempt. Ex. Alice attempts to seduce Cat’s character over to the coup conspirators.  They put their dominant hands together (right for Alice, left for Cat) and thro

TTRPG Tuesday: Beliefs as Roles

  Hello from high above the Rockies, as I make my way back to Chicago from Big Bad Con 2023.     This was my first con in five years, and only my second ever.     I had a better time at it than I did at GenCon, which I understand derives largely from this being an industry con vs a consumer show.     I made a modest number of purchases but it was easy to stick to the constraints of my limited luggage space, which was fine; shopping and new releases were not the attraction here.     Gaming, panels, and (as I soon learned) networking were. This con was certainly less overwhelming and I think my expectations were clearer and my FOMO much lighter, but I’ll readily admit that I had a lot to learn.    I misunderstood or made mistakes regarding almost every event I signed up for, including happy accidents like sitting in on the wrong panel only to learn a ton, or expecting a mending workshop to be about fixing one’s writing when the application was rather more literal, which was a fascinat

TTRPG Tuesday: Minimum Viable Product for WWDW?

Hello and welcome back to TTRPG Tuesday! I’ve put together a barebones introductory document for We Won, Didn’t We? and, well, I think it speaks for itself.  Check it out HERE ! This introduces the skeleton of the game, as well as walking through the steps; I’d say next up is a rudimentary character sheet, and maybe I can bring this to a Playtest Zero session and see what folks think of character creation within one of the starting Bulbs.  I’ve opened the doc up for comments, so if you have thoughts dear reader, fire away.  Brain fried, go read the doc, til next time!