Skip to main content

Mechanic Monday: Different Cardbacks

So today I’m just going to be a bugbear, just an absolute gremlin about a mechanic that I think is great, and which I understand other people aren’t into, and which I will die before changing.  The nice thing about designing games non-commercially is that, while I do want people to have fun playing my games, there is no force in Heaven, Hell, or anywhere inbetween that could make me care less about whether something will help a game sell or not.  I love a good design constraint, but “that mechanic is not currently popular” is not a good design constraint.
So, spoiler alert, the mechanic is different cardbacks in a card game.  As implemented in my design, Cowl & Mask.
Now, in this two-player game, each player has the same 7 cards, each of which has one of three cardbacks; Ranks 1 and 7 share a cardback, Ranks 2 & 6 share a different cardback, and Ranks 3-5 share the last cardback.  Cards are played rank-face down into seven head-to-head lanes, so that you give your opponent a clue as to what card is in which lane, but some deduction on their part is still required.  Thematically, the game is a courtly ritual/dance where there are three Cowls that the seven figures wear, but until they turn around or take off their cowls, you cannot see which of the seven Masks they have on.
On the WIP BGG thread for this game, I was once advised to do away with different cardbacks as a mechanic and while I didn’t respond, what I would have said was; that’s the whole point of the game, dude.  That is what makes it Cowl & Mask.  I didn’t tack on this mechanic as a frill, it is baked into the game’s foundation.  Like, I understand kill your darlings, but also, fuck you, I don’t have to, and more importantly, from an independent designer’s standpoint my goal isn’t to make something more like the mainstream in order for it to be accessible, it’s to explore.  This game is a process of discovery, not a product of marketability.
Anyway, the tone of this post is what you get when I actually write it ON Monday, when I’m tired and resentful, here’s the mechanic itself:

Different Cardbacks
While cardgames typically have one face for presenting information and the other face is uniform so as to hide what’s on the informational face, this design assumption can be subverted in order to create a new design opportunity: partial information.  Cards played face-down are all, in a very general sense, bluffs; you’ve concealed the information on the cardfront, and the context in which you play (when you play it, how much rides on it, what you say as you play it) is a statement, and imparts something you wish the other player(s) to believe.  When the cards have different cardbacks, an additional layer is added to the bluff; the opponents have partial information, but you as the player still decided when to provide them with this information, and more context means more ramifications.  It allows for slightly more informed decisions on both sides’ part, and an additional layer of decision-making and strategy.  To call this a mechanic is, to be honest, somewhat ill-fitting; it’s a component feature, and can in fact be a part of a number of different mechanics.  Having different card backs means that you can have, essentially, multiple sub-decks in a card game.  You could have minidecks of different resources (all cards with an Ore cardback will be Ore, all cards with a Lumber cardback will be Lumber) that nonetheless have different compositions of cards with different specific features (all Ore cards are Ore, but they might be iron, copper, or tin ore), and you can have card use and card play that cares about one face (tap any ore card) or the other (discard 3 tin ore).  You can mix cards with different backs together, for a deck that gives the player’s a clue about what’s coming up.  Honestly, it’s just a subversion of the norm that I think is rife with possibilities.  Go explore it damn it!

Wow good post Fin no need to edit this one just power bomb that publish button.  See ya next time!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

TTRPG Tuesday: Three Means Of Resolving

Hi it’s another TTRPG Tuesday! First of the year.  Let’s get right into it. Saw a challenge on Twitter to make some resolution mechanics.  I can do those! Here we go: Hand to Hand The player performing the action and the person running the game or otherwise opposing the action both put their dominant fists toward one another, bounce them three times to get a rhythm, and reveal a number with their fingers, 0-5.  Sum the two numbers, and if the number is greater than 5, subtract six, so that the final number is always between 0 and 5.  On a 0, the action fails catastrophically, on a 1-2 it fails, 3-4 it succeeds, on a 5 it succeeds spectacularly.  The player taking the action starts the game with all five fingers up on their non-dominant hand; after an attempt, they may lower fingers on that hand to add to the sum of the attempt. Ex. Alice attempts to seduce Cat’s character over to the coup conspirators.  They put their dominant hands together (right for Alice, left for Cat) and thro

TTRPG Tuesday: Beliefs as Roles

  Hello from high above the Rockies, as I make my way back to Chicago from Big Bad Con 2023.     This was my first con in five years, and only my second ever.     I had a better time at it than I did at GenCon, which I understand derives largely from this being an industry con vs a consumer show.     I made a modest number of purchases but it was easy to stick to the constraints of my limited luggage space, which was fine; shopping and new releases were not the attraction here.     Gaming, panels, and (as I soon learned) networking were. This con was certainly less overwhelming and I think my expectations were clearer and my FOMO much lighter, but I’ll readily admit that I had a lot to learn.    I misunderstood or made mistakes regarding almost every event I signed up for, including happy accidents like sitting in on the wrong panel only to learn a ton, or expecting a mending workshop to be about fixing one’s writing when the application was rather more literal, which was a fascinat

TTRPG Tuesday: Minimum Viable Product for WWDW?

Hello and welcome back to TTRPG Tuesday! I’ve put together a barebones introductory document for We Won, Didn’t We? and, well, I think it speaks for itself.  Check it out HERE ! This introduces the skeleton of the game, as well as walking through the steps; I’d say next up is a rudimentary character sheet, and maybe I can bring this to a Playtest Zero session and see what folks think of character creation within one of the starting Bulbs.  I’ve opened the doc up for comments, so if you have thoughts dear reader, fire away.  Brain fried, go read the doc, til next time!