Skip to main content

TTRPG Tuesday: Channeling Curses

 Hey it's TTRPG Tuesday.  Well I’m gonna start writing one on a Tuesday.  We’ll see how it goes.

Been doing a lot of writing on Channelers lately.  And this time is no exception! In particular, I’ve been wondering if there's room for a sixth Calling: the Haunted.


The Haunted

There are those who live with a Spiritual affliction: a family curse, intermittent possession, psychic wounds from exposure to a manifestation - whatever the cause, the Haunted lives with a power they can try to manage but never fully control.  The act of Channeling itself is risky, with twisted and unpredictable Techniques and Incarnations, and a tendency for the Haunted’s power to run away from them.

The hidden truth of every Haunted is that they bear their burden because they believe they deserve it.  They may despise their state or try to suppress it, but they will remain cursed only as long as they believe, consciously or otherwise, that they should be.  If a Haunted ever truly confronts this fundamental fact, they can immediately be freed of the curse, and with it, the Calling itself.  The character may take on another Calling, or may simply end their adventuring career, as they leave Channeling behind them and live a life free from the influence and working of Spirits.

Pregen character: Retuno Caravalez (they/he)

Gracefully still, apart from a nervous gaze.  Forever reading or jotting down small chapbooks of poetry.  Adept at deflecting questions back onto others, a charming and flattering conversation partner.  Very fond of maple liquor but always abstains.

Curse: A Haunted does not Channel a typical Spirit and instead is granted access to Techniques and Incarnations from the Haunted Pool.

Tainted Connection: At the start of combat, deal out three Technique/Incarnation cards to the Haunted.  The Haunted can activate any of these drawn Technique or Incarnation cards.  At the end of every turn, they draw one new card and discard one of their cards.  When a Haunted increases their Channel, they draw one new card (and do not have to discard).

Threat Response: Whenever a Haunted takes Self damage, they immediately increase their Channel


Hmm okay, I like this! I think I can work with this: it's definitely on the more complicated end of the spectrum, probably second only to Solitaire, maybe easier than the Pragmatist, I dunno.  But if I can make a bunch of Corrupt versions of existing Techniques/Incarnations, I think we’re in business.

Alright, that's it for now.  Til next time!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

TTRPG Tuesday: Three Means Of Resolving

Hi it’s another TTRPG Tuesday! First of the year.  Let’s get right into it. Saw a challenge on Twitter to make some resolution mechanics.  I can do those! Here we go: Hand to Hand The player performing the action and the person running the game or otherwise opposing the action both put their dominant fists toward one another, bounce them three times to get a rhythm, and reveal a number with their fingers, 0-5.  Sum the two numbers, and if the number is greater than 5, subtract six, so that the final number is always between 0 and 5.  On a 0, the action fails catastrophically, on a 1-2 it fails, 3-4 it succeeds, on a 5 it succeeds spectacularly.  The player taking the action starts the game with all five fingers up on their non-dominant hand; after an attempt, they may lower fingers on that hand to add to the sum of the attempt. Ex. Alice attempts to seduce Cat’s character over to the coup conspirators.  They put their dominant hands together (right for Alice, left for Cat) and thro

TTRPG Tuesday: Minimum Viable Product for WWDW?

Hello and welcome back to TTRPG Tuesday! I’ve put together a barebones introductory document for We Won, Didn’t We? and, well, I think it speaks for itself.  Check it out HERE ! This introduces the skeleton of the game, as well as walking through the steps; I’d say next up is a rudimentary character sheet, and maybe I can bring this to a Playtest Zero session and see what folks think of character creation within one of the starting Bulbs.  I’ve opened the doc up for comments, so if you have thoughts dear reader, fire away.  Brain fried, go read the doc, til next time!

TTRPG Tuesday: Beliefs as Roles

  Hello from high above the Rockies, as I make my way back to Chicago from Big Bad Con 2023.     This was my first con in five years, and only my second ever.     I had a better time at it than I did at GenCon, which I understand derives largely from this being an industry con vs a consumer show.     I made a modest number of purchases but it was easy to stick to the constraints of my limited luggage space, which was fine; shopping and new releases were not the attraction here.     Gaming, panels, and (as I soon learned) networking were. This con was certainly less overwhelming and I think my expectations were clearer and my FOMO much lighter, but I’ll readily admit that I had a lot to learn.    I misunderstood or made mistakes regarding almost every event I signed up for, including happy accidents like sitting in on the wrong panel only to learn a ton, or expecting a mending workshop to be about fixing one’s writing when the application was rather more literal, which was a fascinat