Skip to main content

Mechanic Monday: Progress Report

Hello and welcome back to the blog for another Mechanic Monday!
This one's kind of a catchupdate as well - for starters, this blog is likely moving soon.  That's because I'm finally getting my act together and building out a proper site for Velocimancer Press - a central internet place for all my creations, game design, playwright, and beyond.  Of course, I'm not going to throw out existing work, so a lot of stuff will still link out to itch, NewPlayExchange, this blog - but it's time I did this properly.  Past time, really.  And so what if this breaks all my old tweets linking to this blog in the velocimancer.com domain? Hopefully I can set it up so that all error pages eventually lead any visitors to their target content anyway.
But back to the Mechanic Monday - I don't actually have some new thing kicking around my head (well, besides the idea of adding solar panels to Armberlodge; and revisiting the possibility of moving the Legacies off the FGM-Squared cards and into separate decks, and when a Hero retires, you draw from your choice of their class' two corresponding decks) but that’s because I’ve actually been prototyping.  Working on the site got me fired up to actually make a presentable version of Guild Manager (that’s the new working title for Fantasy GM Squared), so in the last few weeks I did the following:
  • Reacquainted myself with nanDeck to make changes to the build on there
  • Converted it from poker cards back the square cards I originally envisioned
  • Drew or re-drew enough placeholder art that I had 40 character portraits, so two cards per portrait currently
  • Designed the geometry of a Hero card template, then gave it a little illustrative touch-up, then made that the card background
  • Reorganized the spreadsheet that fed nanDeck the values to have a clearer more readable presentation
  • Set the margins to fit to the 3”x3” label sheets I got
  • Ran a print test, and - it looks pretty good!
Next steps:
  • Sell Sheet, including mockup examples of a couple different themes/reskins to suit the game to different genres: aka Guild Manager: The Amethyst Age (more Overwatch-looking art) and Guild Manager: The Viridium Age (more cyberpunky)
  • Properly design the player components: aka each GM board, Draft Tokens, VP, those +/- tokens, oh, and redesign the category/scoring cards in nanDeck
  • Give the rulebook a once-over, settle on the current Real Version and move the Possibility stuff into a separate parking lot
  • Maybe give the rulebook a quick and dirty dress up in Canva?
Man the digital tools available now are so wild - there are times when I feel dejected because I’m so slow to build the skills that result in actual tangible products.  Like I’m so proud of making a basic card, when my Twitter feed is full of brilliant people (who are increasingly my age or younger) designing beautiful things - but I have to remind myself to measure my progress over my success, and to run my own damn race.  If I can get the list above knocked out and a digital place I can point people to and a physical version I can hold in my hands by the end of the month, I’ll be well pleased.  We’ll see.
Lots more swirling around my head - I started building my site so that I could maybe get in the groove of Amberlodge again, and it’d be good to get back in that headspace; and I could probably write a couple theorycrafty posts about how my recent time investments in Vintage Story and Overwatch 2 have percolated.  But for now, let’s call it there, add in a pic, and get back to work.  Til next time!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

TTRPG Tuesday: Three Means Of Resolving

Hi it’s another TTRPG Tuesday! First of the year.  Let’s get right into it. Saw a challenge on Twitter to make some resolution mechanics.  I can do those! Here we go: Hand to Hand The player performing the action and the person running the game or otherwise opposing the action both put their dominant fists toward one another, bounce them three times to get a rhythm, and reveal a number with their fingers, 0-5.  Sum the two numbers, and if the number is greater than 5, subtract six, so that the final number is always between 0 and 5.  On a 0, the action fails catastrophically, on a 1-2 it fails, 3-4 it succeeds, on a 5 it succeeds spectacularly.  The player taking the action starts the game with all five fingers up on their non-dominant hand; after an attempt, they may lower fingers on that hand to add to the sum of the attempt. Ex. Alice attempts to seduce Cat’s character over to the coup conspirators.  They put their dominant hands together (right for Alice, left for Cat) and thro

TTRPG Tuesday: Beliefs as Roles

  Hello from high above the Rockies, as I make my way back to Chicago from Big Bad Con 2023.     This was my first con in five years, and only my second ever.     I had a better time at it than I did at GenCon, which I understand derives largely from this being an industry con vs a consumer show.     I made a modest number of purchases but it was easy to stick to the constraints of my limited luggage space, which was fine; shopping and new releases were not the attraction here.     Gaming, panels, and (as I soon learned) networking were. This con was certainly less overwhelming and I think my expectations were clearer and my FOMO much lighter, but I’ll readily admit that I had a lot to learn.    I misunderstood or made mistakes regarding almost every event I signed up for, including happy accidents like sitting in on the wrong panel only to learn a ton, or expecting a mending workshop to be about fixing one’s writing when the application was rather more literal, which was a fascinat

TTRPG Tuesday: Minimum Viable Product for WWDW?

Hello and welcome back to TTRPG Tuesday! I’ve put together a barebones introductory document for We Won, Didn’t We? and, well, I think it speaks for itself.  Check it out HERE ! This introduces the skeleton of the game, as well as walking through the steps; I’d say next up is a rudimentary character sheet, and maybe I can bring this to a Playtest Zero session and see what folks think of character creation within one of the starting Bulbs.  I’ve opened the doc up for comments, so if you have thoughts dear reader, fire away.  Brain fried, go read the doc, til next time!