Skip to main content

TTRPG Tuesday: The Opposite of Ted Lasso

Hey, it’s been a minute, how about a TTRPG Tuesday? I’ve got updates to make before I turn in a final draft of a project, so I’m in the headspace.  Today I figured I’d return to the old “How would I gameify an IP well”, with Blue Lock!

I’ve been getting into sports anime - not surprising considering my proclivity for battle shonen and access to someone else’s CrunchyR*ll subscription, and the fact that in real life I’ve been going FULL jock over the last year or so.  Blue Lock I’ve been watching every Saturday, and when I’ve done cardio in the basement I’ll watch Haikyu! Oh, and I watched all of Pride of Orange, because hockey.  These are all fun, with highs that land especially well with someone who’s finding an escape in sports, while also relying on tropes at certain points, or a humour that still isn’t always my cup of tea, or just elongated pacing.

But I’m having a good time, and there’s certainly some lessons to be learned in how to structure conflict, interpersonal battles of will, character progression, and how to create tension through adversity.  Blue Lock in particular pushes the genre in such an unusual direction - a technologically advanced thunderdome royale… for a team sport - that it’s rife for crunchy gamey adaptation.

So! What about Blue Lock quickens my blood?

  • The rulebreaking twists: The starting elimination exercise, the whole team of forwards, the solo chamber, 3v3s working their way up, Blue Lock Man etc

  • The forming and shattering of team bonds, with semi-coop traitor and brinksmanship elements

  • Related to that, the chemical reactions and devouring as synthetic and oneupsmanship forms of learning from one another

  • I’ve had this thought a few times while watching this show: it’s not explicitly nor implicitly fascist, but if I were recruiting fascists it would make for a very useful tool.  The tension between subsuming oneself for a nationalist goal, and discarding the norms of teamwork in the pursuit of individual mastery, is messy and vital and requires very intentional design

And what kinds of mechanical things does all that suggest?

  • Weapons are skill cards: Everyone can shoot and dribble and pass to various mundane extents, but Weapon cards completely change a skill; how you use it, how it advances, how high it can go.  For example, all PCs have the Dribble skill, with a starting score of 1-3, a max of 5, and improving that score costs skill points equal to the new score amount.  But Bachira has the Footwork Acrobat weapon card, which gives +2, raises the max to 8, decreases the Skill Point cost by 1 for odd numbered ranks, and allows Bachira to use the special moves Nutmeg and Slidestep

  • At PC creation, Players start out with a Weapon of their choice but also create a pool of Weapon cards and draw two facedown.  They can peek at one of those two but not the other.  They can unlock their additional Weapons over time.

  • Devouring: Players can also, eventually, copy other players’ Weapons or perhaps parts of Weapons.  This is like the Duchy race in Dominion, of breaking Trumps in a trick taker; there are barriers to it at first but one player kicks off an arms race that pulls everyone else in

  • Gameplay alternates between solitary and group moments, via an assortment of Challenges a la the Selections.  Every PC must be comfortable striving to be the main character, even at the expense of their fellow players - while still very much needing those fellow players, except when the Challenge calls upon them to learn and grow alone

Alright, plenty more to iterate here but it got late and I need sleep.  We’ll leave a potter’s edge on this snd call it a night for now.  Til next time!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

TTRPG Tuesday: Three Means Of Resolving

Hi it’s another TTRPG Tuesday! First of the year.  Let’s get right into it. Saw a challenge on Twitter to make some resolution mechanics.  I can do those! Here we go: Hand to Hand The player performing the action and the person running the game or otherwise opposing the action both put their dominant fists toward one another, bounce them three times to get a rhythm, and reveal a number with their fingers, 0-5.  Sum the two numbers, and if the number is greater than 5, subtract six, so that the final number is always between 0 and 5.  On a 0, the action fails catastrophically, on a 1-2 it fails, 3-4 it succeeds, on a 5 it succeeds spectacularly.  The player taking the action starts the game with all five fingers up on their non-dominant hand; after an attempt, they may lower fingers on that hand to add to the sum of the attempt. Ex. Alice attempts to seduce Cat’s character over to the coup conspirators.  They put their dominant hands together (right for Alice, left for Cat) and thro

TTRPG Tuesday: Beliefs as Roles

  Hello from high above the Rockies, as I make my way back to Chicago from Big Bad Con 2023.     This was my first con in five years, and only my second ever.     I had a better time at it than I did at GenCon, which I understand derives largely from this being an industry con vs a consumer show.     I made a modest number of purchases but it was easy to stick to the constraints of my limited luggage space, which was fine; shopping and new releases were not the attraction here.     Gaming, panels, and (as I soon learned) networking were. This con was certainly less overwhelming and I think my expectations were clearer and my FOMO much lighter, but I’ll readily admit that I had a lot to learn.    I misunderstood or made mistakes regarding almost every event I signed up for, including happy accidents like sitting in on the wrong panel only to learn a ton, or expecting a mending workshop to be about fixing one’s writing when the application was rather more literal, which was a fascinat

TTRPG Tuesday: Minimum Viable Product for WWDW?

Hello and welcome back to TTRPG Tuesday! I’ve put together a barebones introductory document for We Won, Didn’t We? and, well, I think it speaks for itself.  Check it out HERE ! This introduces the skeleton of the game, as well as walking through the steps; I’d say next up is a rudimentary character sheet, and maybe I can bring this to a Playtest Zero session and see what folks think of character creation within one of the starting Bulbs.  I’ve opened the doc up for comments, so if you have thoughts dear reader, fire away.  Brain fried, go read the doc, til next time!