Skip to main content

TTRPG Tuesday: Just a Bunch of Loose Ends, Baby!

Hello and welcome back to TTRPG Tuesday.  It’s a lovely cool Summer evening, and I have a couple things been kicking around my head lately.  We’ll see how much of it I get out of the old noggin before my laptop battery dies, how’s that sound?

First up, I’m still thinking about the Bulb system; what axes should define the first set of nine I want to make, and what questions/fields should be defined in every Bulb.  On Twitter, I mused about an x-axis of Fantasy to Sci Fi and a y-axis of Grim to Hopeful, but the truth is that I don’t usually want to write much Grim stuff, so do I really want to write three settings that fall under that umbrella? Probably not to start! So maybe a better first grid is x-axis Magic, y-axis Tech, yielding:


High Tech / No Magic

High Tech / Some Magic

High Tech / High Magic

Some Tech / No Magic

Some Tech / Some Magic

Some Tech / High Magic

No Tech / No Magic

No Tech / Some Magic

No Tech / High Magic


Some other axes to consider are: abstract <> tangible; past <> future; simple <> complex; lonely <> populous; faithful to history <> deviating from history; small in scale <> large in scale.


I do know that a Bulb that I want to start with is Moss, the idea that kicked off this whole thing, as I was thinking about mech worlds I wanted to build for a Spectres of Brocken playtest, and I kept coming back to something less metal-and-tech and more stone-and-science, as fantasy-based mecha stories can be as interesting (or even more so) than tech-based ones.  Looking at my proposed Tech v Magic grid above, I don’t even know that it’s strictly speaking No Tech, so much as it is High Magic, and perhaps Low Tech a la Ghibli, where Tech can exist but be nascent as Magic peaks and wanes (Mononoke) or where Tech is long lost and inseparable from Magic (Nausica, Castle in the Sky).  If I wanted to do two Mecha worlds, I could also do a Bulb to flesh out the world in the untitled Mecha prose piece I’ve been noodling on the last couple of days.  I also want to do some kind of academy, my answer to H*gwarts and Strixhaven and the wonderfully mysterious locations in the Abhorsen books.  There’s a reason we’re attracted to Magic Schools, and I want to take a crack at making one; one as far as possible from the ones in The Poppy War and The Magicians.


What are the questions that every Bulb should answer? I think that the list starts wide spatially and narrows down before expanding again temporally.  The general feel and principles of the world > the landscape > the locations > the occupants > current events > history/lore.  It may come as no surprise, but my brainstorming of axes, as well as thinking about how Tone/Genre of a Bulb could be defined with a series of Never>Rarely>Sometimes>Usually>Always sliders, have all run together.  I think though I’ll table the standard list of fields for each Bulb til another day; it deserves its own post.


Last thing before my poor laptop gives up the ghost: I kind of want to do posts about what RPG systems would be like for some mediaI like (and one I’m writing)? Like what would a The Owl House RPG look like? Or Paranatural (seriously, if you like webcomics give it a read)? Or the audio dramedy series I swear I’ll finish someday, Tartans Hockey Live? They’d all be tough challenges, though the only one I could ever actually publish would be the Tartans one (though if I was really proud of either the TOH or Paranatural one I’d privately send them to Dana Terrace / Zack Morrison respectively, just as a thank you for making such wonderful series).  MAN OH MAN, listen to me, has anyone ever put more horses farther ahead of more carts than yours truly? My laptop is yawning, that’s enough for tonight.  Til next time!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

TTRPG Tuesday: Three Means Of Resolving

Hi it’s another TTRPG Tuesday! First of the year.  Let’s get right into it. Saw a challenge on Twitter to make some resolution mechanics.  I can do those! Here we go: Hand to Hand The player performing the action and the person running the game or otherwise opposing the action both put their dominant fists toward one another, bounce them three times to get a rhythm, and reveal a number with their fingers, 0-5.  Sum the two numbers, and if the number is greater than 5, subtract six, so that the final number is always between 0 and 5.  On a 0, the action fails catastrophically, on a 1-2 it fails, 3-4 it succeeds, on a 5 it succeeds spectacularly.  The player taking the action starts the game with all five fingers up on their non-dominant hand; after an attempt, they may lower fingers on that hand to add to the sum of the attempt. Ex. Alice attempts to seduce Cat’s character over to the coup conspirators.  They put their dominant hands together (right for Alice, left for Cat) and thro

TTRPG Tuesday: Beliefs as Roles

  Hello from high above the Rockies, as I make my way back to Chicago from Big Bad Con 2023.     This was my first con in five years, and only my second ever.     I had a better time at it than I did at GenCon, which I understand derives largely from this being an industry con vs a consumer show.     I made a modest number of purchases but it was easy to stick to the constraints of my limited luggage space, which was fine; shopping and new releases were not the attraction here.     Gaming, panels, and (as I soon learned) networking were. This con was certainly less overwhelming and I think my expectations were clearer and my FOMO much lighter, but I’ll readily admit that I had a lot to learn.    I misunderstood or made mistakes regarding almost every event I signed up for, including happy accidents like sitting in on the wrong panel only to learn a ton, or expecting a mending workshop to be about fixing one’s writing when the application was rather more literal, which was a fascinat

TTRPG Tuesday: Minimum Viable Product for WWDW?

Hello and welcome back to TTRPG Tuesday! I’ve put together a barebones introductory document for We Won, Didn’t We? and, well, I think it speaks for itself.  Check it out HERE ! This introduces the skeleton of the game, as well as walking through the steps; I’d say next up is a rudimentary character sheet, and maybe I can bring this to a Playtest Zero session and see what folks think of character creation within one of the starting Bulbs.  I’ve opened the doc up for comments, so if you have thoughts dear reader, fire away.  Brain fried, go read the doc, til next time!