Skip to main content

Mechanic Monday: Out of Mana but Learning Not to be Out of Cards

Good late evening loyal listeners.  It’s another surprise late night installment of Out of Mana.  Happy Mechanic Monday! I actually bought myself a few booster packs of the latest set for my birthday yesterday.  However many years clean and I just grab the first needle I see, amazing.  But the theme of the set (Hogwarts but no money to TERFs) was on my radar months ago, and I always knew that if I was gonna come back, it would be for this.  And I really like the set! Witherbloom/Silverauill, obvs.  I should’ve gone for one of the blue schools, as blue fuckery offers the most control and therefore (in my limited, annoyed experience) the most (and most unfun) wins.

Speaking of Strixhaven and its new mechanics, why don’t we get down to it?

Reserve Powers
In GREEM, players purchase buy and sell goods, as well as special player powers that let them define and accelerate their strategy.  Prior to the start of the game, players assemble a six-power reserve.  As one of the actions on their turn, they may exchange one of their purchased and played powers for a power in their reserve with an equivalent cost.

So I never fully understood the concept of a sideboard, which was very embarrassing when I asked Daniel Solis to explain it when he referenced it in a blog entry.  The only times I had ever played Magic were on a schoolyard lunchtable, so I didn’t know that sideboards existed at all, much less how to leverage them.  But the Learn mechanic that’s new to Strixhaven; that brings it sharply into focus.  I am a little annoyed that it augments the gap between those who already have the deckbuilding advantage of a larger collection, but it’s still smart.  It’s like the stupid fucking cycling decks I’ve run into; get enough of one mechanic into your deck and you can tutor your way to the exact hand you really need to win.  Which is annoying, for sure, but less annoying I think when everyone can do it, hence why I mocked up its inclusion in an economic game (perhaps it could even go in one of my weird auction games, with “cost” being either point value or bid value.  I can also envision cards (in the reserve and in the market) that cater to or counter a reliance on Reserve cards.  Fun stuff!

Right that’s that on that.  Til next time, all cops are bastards!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

TTRPG Tuesday: Three Means Of Resolving

Hi it’s another TTRPG Tuesday! First of the year.  Let’s get right into it. Saw a challenge on Twitter to make some resolution mechanics.  I can do those! Here we go: Hand to Hand The player performing the action and the person running the game or otherwise opposing the action both put their dominant fists toward one another, bounce them three times to get a rhythm, and reveal a number with their fingers, 0-5.  Sum the two numbers, and if the number is greater than 5, subtract six, so that the final number is always between 0 and 5.  On a 0, the action fails catastrophically, on a 1-2 it fails, 3-4 it succeeds, on a 5 it succeeds spectacularly.  The player taking the action starts the game with all five fingers up on their non-dominant hand; after an attempt, they may lower fingers on that hand to add to the sum of the attempt. Ex. Alice attempts to seduce Cat’s character over to the coup conspirators.  They put their dominant hands together (right for Alice, left for Cat) and thro

TTRPG Tuesday: Beliefs as Roles

  Hello from high above the Rockies, as I make my way back to Chicago from Big Bad Con 2023.     This was my first con in five years, and only my second ever.     I had a better time at it than I did at GenCon, which I understand derives largely from this being an industry con vs a consumer show.     I made a modest number of purchases but it was easy to stick to the constraints of my limited luggage space, which was fine; shopping and new releases were not the attraction here.     Gaming, panels, and (as I soon learned) networking were. This con was certainly less overwhelming and I think my expectations were clearer and my FOMO much lighter, but I’ll readily admit that I had a lot to learn.    I misunderstood or made mistakes regarding almost every event I signed up for, including happy accidents like sitting in on the wrong panel only to learn a ton, or expecting a mending workshop to be about fixing one’s writing when the application was rather more literal, which was a fascinat

TTRPG Tuesday: Minimum Viable Product for WWDW?

Hello and welcome back to TTRPG Tuesday! I’ve put together a barebones introductory document for We Won, Didn’t We? and, well, I think it speaks for itself.  Check it out HERE ! This introduces the skeleton of the game, as well as walking through the steps; I’d say next up is a rudimentary character sheet, and maybe I can bring this to a Playtest Zero session and see what folks think of character creation within one of the starting Bulbs.  I’ve opened the doc up for comments, so if you have thoughts dear reader, fire away.  Brain fried, go read the doc, til next time!