Skip to main content

Button Shy Design Challenge: 18 Identical Cards!


Hey, it’s September! Sanity twinkles on the horizon; is it a mirage of false hope, or the faint honest shine of a distant true beacon? Time will tell.  Things have at least temporarily slowed down enough, and I am for the next ten minutes inspired enough, for me to eke out a chunk of game design thinking.  Since it’s not a Monday, I don’t feel beholden to my usual traditions (lol) and so today will be unabashedly about the arrow of inspiration that has lodged itself in my spongey grey matter.  A new game design contest from Button Shy! Billed by them as a seemingly impossible challenge: An 18-card game with 18 identical cards, and no other components.  They seem to think this is impossible; I think that it’s certainly a limiting constraint, but all the more fun for it.  So this is just going to be a free-for-all of thoughts on some concepts and/or gameplay that could be done with 18 identical cards.
Orientation: If you use the sides (4) and corners (4) of a card, and double it for the faces (2), it can represent 16 different pieces of information depending on what it’s pointing at (you; an opponent; other cards).  I can envision a tableau/mandala-building game (what a surprise) with dark-sided and light-sided cards, where each player links cards to one another by edge and by corner to… what? To build an action engine? To satisfy certain arrangement scoring conditions? To create a history?
18 cards also creates two 3x3 grids for each face.
Or cards could have a “rank” equal to the number of cards in their row, and a “suit” equal to the number of cards in their column.
Two faces also could serve as a two-player game focused on flipping cards over to your face, or a solitaire based on Game of Life mechanics (death vs alive mechanics).  Orientation of adjacent cards used to trigger the rotation or flipping of a card.
How about hidden information? Well, again, orientation could represent information, and cards could be covered up by other cards (essentially using them as cardbacks) to conceal that information (simultaneous action selection; traitor mechanic allegiance; vote) until it’s time to be revealed.
Now, how to take identical components and randomize them.  It’s like that old dumb game design riddle, how do you shuffle a deck containing only one card? Only once again this is easier than it first appears, as you could flip half, shuffle, rotate half, shuffle, etc, thereby creating a randomized pile containing at least 4 different orientations (thanks again Todd Sanders, for Do Not Forsake Me [Oh My Darling]).  On top of that, you could “sum” pieces of information to create outputs.  The objective of a tile-laying game could be to maximize (intersection of FaceATopRightCorner and FaceALeftEdge) and (intersection of FaceABottomEdge and FaceBBottomRightCorner).  Finally, if you want randomness, introduce dexterity; you could place a card on a surface (not included in the components! But probably implied to be allowed) and spin it for a random orientation.
And finally, harkening back to my most recent Mechanic Monday for TABLET, maybe every card contains a massive number of symbols and information, and the game is about laying cards gridlessly atop one another to create certain shapes or to maximize your majority or minority for certain symbols.
I think this constraint is terrific, and the challenge will be taking these workarounds and honing in on a combination of ideas that feels open and choice-based enough to flesh out a full design.  I’ve got almost four weeks; should be doable!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

TTRPG Tuesday: Three Means Of Resolving

Hi it’s another TTRPG Tuesday! First of the year.  Let’s get right into it. Saw a challenge on Twitter to make some resolution mechanics.  I can do those! Here we go: Hand to Hand The player performing the action and the person running the game or otherwise opposing the action both put their dominant fists toward one another, bounce them three times to get a rhythm, and reveal a number with their fingers, 0-5.  Sum the two numbers, and if the number is greater than 5, subtract six, so that the final number is always between 0 and 5.  On a 0, the action fails catastrophically, on a 1-2 it fails, 3-4 it succeeds, on a 5 it succeeds spectacularly.  The player taking the action starts the game with all five fingers up on their non-dominant hand; after an attempt, they may lower fingers on that hand to add to the sum of the attempt. Ex. Alice attempts to seduce Cat’s character over to the coup conspirators.  They put their dominant hands together (right for Alice, left for Cat) and thro

TTRPG Tuesday: Beliefs as Roles

  Hello from high above the Rockies, as I make my way back to Chicago from Big Bad Con 2023.     This was my first con in five years, and only my second ever.     I had a better time at it than I did at GenCon, which I understand derives largely from this being an industry con vs a consumer show.     I made a modest number of purchases but it was easy to stick to the constraints of my limited luggage space, which was fine; shopping and new releases were not the attraction here.     Gaming, panels, and (as I soon learned) networking were. This con was certainly less overwhelming and I think my expectations were clearer and my FOMO much lighter, but I’ll readily admit that I had a lot to learn.    I misunderstood or made mistakes regarding almost every event I signed up for, including happy accidents like sitting in on the wrong panel only to learn a ton, or expecting a mending workshop to be about fixing one’s writing when the application was rather more literal, which was a fascinat

TTRPG Tuesday: Minimum Viable Product for WWDW?

Hello and welcome back to TTRPG Tuesday! I’ve put together a barebones introductory document for We Won, Didn’t We? and, well, I think it speaks for itself.  Check it out HERE ! This introduces the skeleton of the game, as well as walking through the steps; I’d say next up is a rudimentary character sheet, and maybe I can bring this to a Playtest Zero session and see what folks think of character creation within one of the starting Bulbs.  I’ve opened the doc up for comments, so if you have thoughts dear reader, fire away.  Brain fried, go read the doc, til next time!