Skip to main content

Mechanic Monday: If X then y, vs A: {b,c,d}

It’s super fucken late, but I’m gonna try (day of, nothing pre-written!) to get out a M-M-Mechanic Monday! Thanks for tuning in loyal listeners, despite my radio silence last week.  It was the opening night of my theatre’s latest show, and to say that I had my hands full is putting it laughably mildly.  But that sucker’s open, time to turn my thoughts back toward game design.  Been working hard pretty much every free moment I can steal at work (where I have access to Microsoft Word, because ghetto fab baby) to work on refining the rules for Fantasy GM Squared and getting a prototype ready.  I’m gonna burn my damn eyes out, what with tryna do that ON TOP OF the massive amount of files I’m reviewing as the busy season hits at work.  But c’est la vie! I’m trying to get some mindless copy-paste-formatting stuff done here at home tonight (although it would have been better to have had the mouse and both screens for this task), and the last thing I’ve been fiddling with is special abilities (remember, from a couple weeks back? I think?), and I figured today I’d write a little something about a design lesson that hasn’t stuck, but I keep learning it so maybe it’ll eventually take up permanent residence in my brain.

Situational vs Ubiquitous Powers
In Fantasy GM Squared, your cards have special abilities.  A few of them trigger only under certain circumstances, but most give you a great deal of leeway as to when and how to use them.

Yeaaaaah, there’s a lot that’s weird about this week.  For one thing, I said I’d stop writing about Fantasy GM Squared for a bit; for another, that’s not your typical rule description.  But like I said, it’s something I always forget until I’m forcibly reminded of it: Open up the player decision space, instead of creating situational effects that make the decisions for them.
I was super bad about this from jump; in Cowl & Mask, I originally had powers that read something like “if x, then y”, and I’ve been making the same mistake ever since.  Up until recently, a FO ability in Fantasy GM Squared read “When you win the MASK category, steal one VP from another player”.  There were an entire set of such abilities, all following the “When you win the [type] category, [thematic reward]”.  The trouble is, that having so many cards like that dictated strategy too much.  If an ability is super-situational and only grants you a reward if you meet certain conditions, particularly early on if it’s your only ability, you’ll most likely live or die based on whether you can set up those conditions.  Whereas a card that says “Once per Season, you may [take special action]” allows you to choose which circumstances you wish to be favourable.  Now, that original FO ability reads “Thief Mastery: When you win a Category, steal 1VP from another player”.  Now the situational parameters have opened up; and for the record, I did leave the situational language on ONE of the Mastery cards, because it’s fine to have a *few* situations you can try and work toward.  It’s more when the ENTIRETY of your decision space gets dictated by your reward path that that becomes a problem.  When it’s just a moonshot extra point to go after? Maybe you’ll try to work it into your plan, but it won’t be your entire plan.
Alright, it’s gotten late, and I didn’t quite articulate everything I wanted to say, but it’s a start and I dinnae have time to edit.  Posting this thing and then wrapping up my work for the night.  Christ almighty I need to get some sleep.
Til next time! Thanks for stopping by for another - M-m-mechanic Monday!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

TTRPG Tuesday: Three Means Of Resolving

Hi it’s another TTRPG Tuesday! First of the year.  Let’s get right into it. Saw a challenge on Twitter to make some resolution mechanics.  I can do those! Here we go: Hand to Hand The player performing the action and the person running the game or otherwise opposing the action both put their dominant fists toward one another, bounce them three times to get a rhythm, and reveal a number with their fingers, 0-5.  Sum the two numbers, and if the number is greater than 5, subtract six, so that the final number is always between 0 and 5.  On a 0, the action fails catastrophically, on a 1-2 it fails, 3-4 it succeeds, on a 5 it succeeds spectacularly.  The player taking the action starts the game with all five fingers up on their non-dominant hand; after an attempt, they may lower fingers on that hand to add to the sum of the attempt. Ex. Alice attempts to seduce Cat’s character over to the coup conspirators.  They put their dominant hands together (right for Alice, left for Cat) and thro

TTRPG Tuesday: Beliefs as Roles

  Hello from high above the Rockies, as I make my way back to Chicago from Big Bad Con 2023.     This was my first con in five years, and only my second ever.     I had a better time at it than I did at GenCon, which I understand derives largely from this being an industry con vs a consumer show.     I made a modest number of purchases but it was easy to stick to the constraints of my limited luggage space, which was fine; shopping and new releases were not the attraction here.     Gaming, panels, and (as I soon learned) networking were. This con was certainly less overwhelming and I think my expectations were clearer and my FOMO much lighter, but I’ll readily admit that I had a lot to learn.    I misunderstood or made mistakes regarding almost every event I signed up for, including happy accidents like sitting in on the wrong panel only to learn a ton, or expecting a mending workshop to be about fixing one’s writing when the application was rather more literal, which was a fascinat

TTRPG Tuesday: Minimum Viable Product for WWDW?

Hello and welcome back to TTRPG Tuesday! I’ve put together a barebones introductory document for We Won, Didn’t We? and, well, I think it speaks for itself.  Check it out HERE ! This introduces the skeleton of the game, as well as walking through the steps; I’d say next up is a rudimentary character sheet, and maybe I can bring this to a Playtest Zero session and see what folks think of character creation within one of the starting Bulbs.  I’ve opened the doc up for comments, so if you have thoughts dear reader, fire away.  Brain fried, go read the doc, til next time!