Skip to main content

Mechanic Monday: Pass-Through Action Tiles

Happy Monday fam! Sorry about missing a post last week, it’s been busy at the theatre company, and those issues came first.  Streak broken, but time to start a new one!
Not gonna do the long rambling “my earliest memories of my grandmother were of flour-dusted fingerprints showing stark against the dark wrought iron of her teapot” intro today, just gonna dive right into this floating mechanic.

Jumping Across Action Tiles
In GREEM, a grid of Action tiles is laid out in the center of the play space.  Each player starts in a different corner, their pawn covering up that corner’s tile.  On a player’s turn, they move across as many tiles as they choose, provided they pay the energy cost on each tile.  That can either be a fixed starting amount, or it can be accumulated, or it could come from an Action Wheel.  But to move over a tile, you pay its cost and take its action.  The tile you land on does not require energy, nor does it grant its action.  Only tiles completely moved through are activated.

So basically, I envision this grid of action tiles, and each turn, a player carves out their own path through them, perhaps gaining new temporary energy for future turns, building up their base energy, drawing scoring cards, rearranging tiles, repelling other players’ pawns or dropping mines, removing tiles entirely, scoring points, whatever.  Now, there are a lot of ways to mess around with this - as I mentioned, you could have energy, or you could use Action Beads on an Action Wheel to pay.  You could also just use coins or VP or any other currency.  You can restrict each turn to tiles that are in a straight line, or you can allow paths to turn.  It could be square tiles, or hexes.Tiles could have edges that act as walls, stopping further movement in that direction; you could have every tile that a pawn starts from disappear for a gradually crumbling board, or you could layer tiles on top of tiles for an ever-changing stacked/overlapping board.  Pawn interaction is wide open, and you could make some tiles straight up enemies that require some other currency to pass/defeat.  Instead of merely interacting with tiles, perhaps players can buy them and add them to a player-powers or scoring tableau.
Anyway, with all the possibilities, what this really boils down to is a movement mechanic.  But it feels fun and different.  Ooh, I just thought of another possible twist - instead of activating the tiles you pass through, at the end of your turn you activate every tile that your pawn’s tile touches.  Anyway, something fun to consider, a nice combine-and-subvert of a roll-and-move and a worker-placement.  Take it to your lab and tinker away!
Alright, til next week! When I’ll probably start digging more into Fantasy Fantasy GM GM.  Cheers all.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

TTRPG Tuesday: Three Means Of Resolving

Hi it’s another TTRPG Tuesday! First of the year.  Let’s get right into it. Saw a challenge on Twitter to make some resolution mechanics.  I can do those! Here we go: Hand to Hand The player performing the action and the person running the game or otherwise opposing the action both put their dominant fists toward one another, bounce them three times to get a rhythm, and reveal a number with their fingers, 0-5.  Sum the two numbers, and if the number is greater than 5, subtract six, so that the final number is always between 0 and 5.  On a 0, the action fails catastrophically, on a 1-2 it fails, 3-4 it succeeds, on a 5 it succeeds spectacularly.  The player taking the action starts the game with all five fingers up on their non-dominant hand; after an attempt, they may lower fingers on that hand to add to the sum of the attempt. Ex. Alice attempts to seduce Cat’s character over to the coup conspirators.  They put their dominant hands together (right for Alice, left for Cat) and thro

TTRPG Tuesday: Beliefs as Roles

  Hello from high above the Rockies, as I make my way back to Chicago from Big Bad Con 2023.     This was my first con in five years, and only my second ever.     I had a better time at it than I did at GenCon, which I understand derives largely from this being an industry con vs a consumer show.     I made a modest number of purchases but it was easy to stick to the constraints of my limited luggage space, which was fine; shopping and new releases were not the attraction here.     Gaming, panels, and (as I soon learned) networking were. This con was certainly less overwhelming and I think my expectations were clearer and my FOMO much lighter, but I’ll readily admit that I had a lot to learn.    I misunderstood or made mistakes regarding almost every event I signed up for, including happy accidents like sitting in on the wrong panel only to learn a ton, or expecting a mending workshop to be about fixing one’s writing when the application was rather more literal, which was a fascinat

TTRPG Tuesday: Minimum Viable Product for WWDW?

Hello and welcome back to TTRPG Tuesday! I’ve put together a barebones introductory document for We Won, Didn’t We? and, well, I think it speaks for itself.  Check it out HERE ! This introduces the skeleton of the game, as well as walking through the steps; I’d say next up is a rudimentary character sheet, and maybe I can bring this to a Playtest Zero session and see what folks think of character creation within one of the starting Bulbs.  I’ve opened the doc up for comments, so if you have thoughts dear reader, fire away.  Brain fried, go read the doc, til next time!