Skip to main content

Mechanic Monday: Possible Defector

Wow this weather is fucked! Hunker down, chew an orange, take a salt tablet, douse yourself in vitamin D and tiger balm, and enjoy this week’s installment of Mechanic Monday.
Funny thing about social deduction games.  Does anyone else get this? Whenever I play Resistance: Avalon, or any other members of the lycanthrope organized crime family, I find myself getting stuck in the role of pretend good guy, and I can’t shake it even after the game’s over.  Like I spend the rest of the evening, long after a winner is declared, trying to stop myself from speaking in pointless friendly lies.  They break my brain! I don’t know why it is, or if it’s related to the way that, despite having a decades-long background in improvisation, writing, and performance, I sometimes struggle with role-playing games.  I think it comes down to the fact that for my brain, games are a particular type of challenge; I tend to go all in for moon-shots and big bets, I’m not the best at playing my opponent or bluffing in anyway, I try to minimize chance and maximize efficiency but oftentimes I lose track of the big picture or get hobbled by my experience-based biases.  Couple all that to the part of the brain that handles acting and naturalism, and you just get all sorts of short circuits and misfires.  The contents of my skull are a disparate mess, y’all.
Despite being piss-poor at such endeavours, my mind does still like to mull over these designs from a behaviour-modeling standpoint.  Couple that with my love of subverting expectations and design constraints as a source of inspiration, and we have today’s mechanic: a hidden role social deduction game for 2.

Possible Defector
In Poisoner’s Dilemma, both players are on a mission to poison the members of the noble family of House Upas.  But there’s a rumour - only a rumour , mind you - that one member of the Conspiracy is secretly in the employ of House Upas, and will protect them and poison their enemies instead.  At the start of the game, shuffle the four Allegiance cards - 3 Conspirators, 1 Loyalist - and give each player 1 face-down.  If both players are Conspirators, then they must work together to poison all members of House Upas by the game’s end.  If one of the two players has the Loyalist card, they win if the plot to poison all the members of House Upas fails.

So some context here: I picture the base of this being a co-op game where skilled players win 60-75% of the time.  Two players who both know themselves to be Conspirators and worked perfectly together should struggle to win.  This gives the Loyalist cover - so what’s to prevent the Loyalist from playing too obviously? Perhaps players can, at certain points, declare that they believe the other player to be a Loyalist, thereby ensuring (if they guess correctly) that no one wins.  I also thought about the numbers - I originally thought about it being 2 Conspirator cards and 1 Loyalist, but realized that that meant a ⅔ chance of there being a competitive game.  I want ½ or better.  Of course, this presumes there’s only 1 Loyalist - perhaps there are two Loyalist cards, and a slim-chance of double-defector, with a different win condition (or only 1 Loyalist gets paid and must out the other first?) Lots of possibilities here.  What I most want to create is the sense that the default state is a reasonably challenging co-op, complicated by the chance that it is in fact competitive.  And I feel that the theme is reasonably well-suited to the social experiment.  We’ll see if this takes sufficient root in my mind to develop.
Well that’s all the time I have this week; come back next Monday for More Mechanics! Stay warm! Drip your faucets! Shovel before you salt! Keep your pets close, and check in on your elderly neighbours! Call 311 if you see a homeless person in danger, or if your landlord doesn’t have your heat working!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

TTRPG Tuesday: Three Means Of Resolving

Hi it’s another TTRPG Tuesday! First of the year.  Let’s get right into it. Saw a challenge on Twitter to make some resolution mechanics.  I can do those! Here we go: Hand to Hand The player performing the action and the person running the game or otherwise opposing the action both put their dominant fists toward one another, bounce them three times to get a rhythm, and reveal a number with their fingers, 0-5.  Sum the two numbers, and if the number is greater than 5, subtract six, so that the final number is always between 0 and 5.  On a 0, the action fails catastrophically, on a 1-2 it fails, 3-4 it succeeds, on a 5 it succeeds spectacularly.  The player taking the action starts the game with all five fingers up on their non-dominant hand; after an attempt, they may lower fingers on that hand to add to the sum of the attempt. Ex. Alice attempts to seduce Cat’s character over to the coup conspirators.  They put their dominant hands together (right for Alice, left for Cat) and thro

TTRPG Tuesday: Beliefs as Roles

  Hello from high above the Rockies, as I make my way back to Chicago from Big Bad Con 2023.     This was my first con in five years, and only my second ever.     I had a better time at it than I did at GenCon, which I understand derives largely from this being an industry con vs a consumer show.     I made a modest number of purchases but it was easy to stick to the constraints of my limited luggage space, which was fine; shopping and new releases were not the attraction here.     Gaming, panels, and (as I soon learned) networking were. This con was certainly less overwhelming and I think my expectations were clearer and my FOMO much lighter, but I’ll readily admit that I had a lot to learn.    I misunderstood or made mistakes regarding almost every event I signed up for, including happy accidents like sitting in on the wrong panel only to learn a ton, or expecting a mending workshop to be about fixing one’s writing when the application was rather more literal, which was a fascinat

TTRPG Tuesday: Minimum Viable Product for WWDW?

Hello and welcome back to TTRPG Tuesday! I’ve put together a barebones introductory document for We Won, Didn’t We? and, well, I think it speaks for itself.  Check it out HERE ! This introduces the skeleton of the game, as well as walking through the steps; I’d say next up is a rudimentary character sheet, and maybe I can bring this to a Playtest Zero session and see what folks think of character creation within one of the starting Bulbs.  I’ve opened the doc up for comments, so if you have thoughts dear reader, fire away.  Brain fried, go read the doc, til next time!