Skip to main content

Mechanic Monday! Conflict Chips


Today’s Mechanic Monday is about Conflict Chips!

I’ve always made fun of opposed rolls in RPGs, specifically d20’s and the natural 20 auto-succeed. Like I always picture someone standing in front of a skyscraper and going, “I want to jump over this thing, and there’s a 5% chance I will.” It’s a bonkers implication, and also, 20 sides is just SO MUCH variance, especially when 90% of that variance could mean the difference between meeting or falling short of a static target, and 10% of it represents a complete departure from how the other results compare to the target.

It’s also guilty of a sin that’s very much under the popular microscope right now: output randomness. You do all your decision making, and then you roll the die to see if you succeed, fail, super-succeed, or super-fail? Good luck, I guess? I think there’s a reason so many mechanics have sprung up to mitigate die rolls - key points, luck points, guaranteed re-rolls, etc. But luck mitigation only goes so far, and the farther it goes, the more it highlights the band-aid over the broken arm; dice can’t “remember”, they’re not affected by their results the way other randomizers are. A card pulled from a deck stays out until it’s placed back in. A 20-sided die is going to have a 5% chance of you jumping over a skyscraper, every time you roll it.

Some like the variance, and I should concede that output randomness is not inherently bad, just unpopular and not to my personal liking. And I will admit, that it’s not a given that RPGs should place tactics over strategy, nor that players should have too much control. Suit the mechanic to the game, so let us not try to wring too much apple juice from this orange.

Still, my personal preference for a less random, more tactical conflict resolution mechanic did spring to mind as a fix to this situation (whether it truly is a problem or not) as well as being inspired by the secret credit betting by the Jinteki faction of Android: Netrunner. For those unfamiliar, some Jinteki cards ask that both players secretly spend zero, one, or two of the game’s currency, concealing the credits (or lack thereof) in their closed hand; they simultaneously open their hands to reveal each player’s bet, with effects and consequences for who won or lost the bet, or different effects depending on how much each player bet. So that was also in the back of my head when I cobbled together the following:

Conflict Chips
Each player has seven chips, numbered 1-7, sorted into two pools, either Unspent or Spent. Whenever two players need to resolve a conflict, each player hides one of their Unspent chips in their hand, and then both players simultaneously reveal their choice. The higher numbered chip wins the conflict. Both players move then place the revealed chips in the Spent pool. Once all of a player’s chips are Spent, move all chips to Unspent.

So basically this is a simultaneous bid with a variance of 1-7. Obviously, you can tweak the numbers, they don’t have to be consecutive, you can include 0 or negative numbers, you can shrink or expand the range. Other possible tweaks: Each number also has a custom ability; exceeding the other player’s bid by 3 or more has added bonuses; you can move an Unspent chip to the Spent pool in order to move two lower-value Spent chips back to the Unspent pool; instead of resetting once you’ve spent all your Chips, reset when there’s one Unspent chip left, or everyone resets whenever any player resets; certain situations call for a lowest-bid winner instead of a highest-bid winner.

There’s lots to explore here, but it has a nice tidy elegance to it. There’s bluffing, and it allows for short- and medium-term planning. You can dress it up and scale it up pretty easily, or keep it simple. I should find a game to actually build around it.

Ok that’s all! I’ll be shocked if I ever do this again, but for the time being, I’ve posted two Mondays in a row. Madness. Mayhem. Cats and dogs living together. Til next time.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

TTRPG Tuesday: Three Means Of Resolving

Hi it’s another TTRPG Tuesday! First of the year.  Let’s get right into it. Saw a challenge on Twitter to make some resolution mechanics.  I can do those! Here we go: Hand to Hand The player performing the action and the person running the game or otherwise opposing the action both put their dominant fists toward one another, bounce them three times to get a rhythm, and reveal a number with their fingers, 0-5.  Sum the two numbers, and if the number is greater than 5, subtract six, so that the final number is always between 0 and 5.  On a 0, the action fails catastrophically, on a 1-2 it fails, 3-4 it succeeds, on a 5 it succeeds spectacularly.  The player taking the action starts the game with all five fingers up on their non-dominant hand; after an attempt, they may lower fingers on that hand to add to the sum of the attempt. Ex. Alice attempts to seduce Cat’s character over to the coup conspirators.  They put their dominant hands together (right for Alice, left for Cat) and thro

TTRPG Tuesday: Beliefs as Roles

  Hello from high above the Rockies, as I make my way back to Chicago from Big Bad Con 2023.     This was my first con in five years, and only my second ever.     I had a better time at it than I did at GenCon, which I understand derives largely from this being an industry con vs a consumer show.     I made a modest number of purchases but it was easy to stick to the constraints of my limited luggage space, which was fine; shopping and new releases were not the attraction here.     Gaming, panels, and (as I soon learned) networking were. This con was certainly less overwhelming and I think my expectations were clearer and my FOMO much lighter, but I’ll readily admit that I had a lot to learn.    I misunderstood or made mistakes regarding almost every event I signed up for, including happy accidents like sitting in on the wrong panel only to learn a ton, or expecting a mending workshop to be about fixing one’s writing when the application was rather more literal, which was a fascinat

TTRPG Tuesday: Minimum Viable Product for WWDW?

Hello and welcome back to TTRPG Tuesday! I’ve put together a barebones introductory document for We Won, Didn’t We? and, well, I think it speaks for itself.  Check it out HERE ! This introduces the skeleton of the game, as well as walking through the steps; I’d say next up is a rudimentary character sheet, and maybe I can bring this to a Playtest Zero session and see what folks think of character creation within one of the starting Bulbs.  I’ve opened the doc up for comments, so if you have thoughts dear reader, fire away.  Brain fried, go read the doc, til next time!