Skip to main content

Off The Grid

Yes yes my posts are infrequent.  No one reads these anyway, so it's fine.
D.I.E. Interceptor is in a good place.  Might look at making a nice board/bag for it, with the grid, spaces for the Powerup dice, and reminders of the different moves.
Cowl and Mask is still where it has been for some time.  I feel like the power-level tweaking I did based on my brother's suggestions, along with the addition of betting, has it at a place where I'm happy with it.  It might see some more playtesting, might not.  It's not as though I have a financial need for the game to go anywhere.  Might look into a budget for some art assets, although I'm decently happy with the Daniel Solis icons I'm currently using.  It's just kind of shelved right now.
Birch Crown is still too fiddly.  I think it needs a whole night of playtesting, with me making sharpie changes on the fly, in order for me to get it to a real clicky place.
Exploding Snap needs a slight tweak but the recipients of that game seem pretty happy about it.
I should note that the Word docs I used to make all of these games are kaput.  I should really learn InDesign.  And I should back up my personal docs folder on my work computer.
I continue to be inspired to make notes for Runtime Error.  I should make a prototype for that, just to see the first kinks emerge.

But today's post is about a different game! In 2010, Daniel Solis held the Thousand Year Game Design Contest.  How fitting that my entry will be 6 years past the deadline; I'm certainly taking the long view.
In actuality, the contest (which was held before I even followed Solis' work) did somewhat inspire the design currently kicking around my head.  A design intended to be elegant, non-language dependent, yet easily taught in an oral tradition.  And Solis' design philosophies that push the idea of what a game area can look like also helped inspire what I'm currently calling either Legions or Oases.

Components:
- A supply of round, flat, stackable chips, in three colours: White, Black, and Green
- A circle with twelve wells and eleven beads
- A surface

And that's it.  To start, players stand in the center of the area in which they wish to play, and drop ten green chips onto the ground.  Any chips that are overlapping should be picked up, then dropped again, until there are no chips overlapping.
Then, players alternate choosing green chips for their opponent to start on, placing three of the opposing player's chips in a stack on one green chip.  The field should then have three stacks of black chips on top of a green chip, three stacks of white chips on top of a green chip, and four unoccupied green chips left.
Place one bead in each of the wells at twelve o'clock, one o'clock, and two o'clock on the circle.  The start player takes all but the clockwise most bead from the circle.
On a player's turn, they may spend as many beads as they like (placing a bead in the first empty well clockwise of a filled well on the circle) to take an action.  An action can be either:
- the stacking or de-stacking of any pile of their own chips, or
- turning a stack of five of their own chips into a green chip with one of their own chips on top
Once a player has spent as many beads as they care to, they pass play to their opponent, who takes all but the clockwise most bead from the circle and takes their own turn.
NOTE: Whenever a bead is placed in the well at six o'clock, all occupied green chips gain a new chip of the occupier's colour.  Whenever a bead is placed in the well at twelve o'clock, a new bead is taken from the supply and placed on the well at one o'clock.
Chips of a player's colour may be stacked as long as they are touching one another.  A stack may be de-stacked in any shape, in any direction, as long as they are all touching at least one other chip.  Any chip, or group of chips that is touching, loses a chip at the end of a player's turn unless there is an unbroken chain of touching chips connecting it to an green chip occupied by that player's colour.
If a player's de-stacked chip is touching two of an opposing player's chips, that chip is removed from the game at the end of that action.

The object of the game is therefore to build up stacks of one's own colour, and spread across the space, creating new green chips or occupying existing ones until the other player's chips are overwhelmed and eradicated.

Player's chips are called Legions.  The green chips are called Oases.
So yeah, curious to see which name I should go with.  But I like the idea.  Glad I was able to write it down.
That's all for now!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

TTRPG Tuesday: Three Means Of Resolving

Hi it’s another TTRPG Tuesday! First of the year.  Let’s get right into it. Saw a challenge on Twitter to make some resolution mechanics.  I can do those! Here we go: Hand to Hand The player performing the action and the person running the game or otherwise opposing the action both put their dominant fists toward one another, bounce them three times to get a rhythm, and reveal a number with their fingers, 0-5.  Sum the two numbers, and if the number is greater than 5, subtract six, so that the final number is always between 0 and 5.  On a 0, the action fails catastrophically, on a 1-2 it fails, 3-4 it succeeds, on a 5 it succeeds spectacularly.  The player taking the action starts the game with all five fingers up on their non-dominant hand; after an attempt, they may lower fingers on that hand to add to the sum of the attempt. Ex. Alice attempts to seduce Cat’s character over to the coup conspirators.  They put their dominant hands together (right for Alice, left for Cat) and thro

TTRPG Tuesday: Beliefs as Roles

  Hello from high above the Rockies, as I make my way back to Chicago from Big Bad Con 2023.     This was my first con in five years, and only my second ever.     I had a better time at it than I did at GenCon, which I understand derives largely from this being an industry con vs a consumer show.     I made a modest number of purchases but it was easy to stick to the constraints of my limited luggage space, which was fine; shopping and new releases were not the attraction here.     Gaming, panels, and (as I soon learned) networking were. This con was certainly less overwhelming and I think my expectations were clearer and my FOMO much lighter, but I’ll readily admit that I had a lot to learn.    I misunderstood or made mistakes regarding almost every event I signed up for, including happy accidents like sitting in on the wrong panel only to learn a ton, or expecting a mending workshop to be about fixing one’s writing when the application was rather more literal, which was a fascinat

TTRPG Tuesday: Minimum Viable Product for WWDW?

Hello and welcome back to TTRPG Tuesday! I’ve put together a barebones introductory document for We Won, Didn’t We? and, well, I think it speaks for itself.  Check it out HERE ! This introduces the skeleton of the game, as well as walking through the steps; I’d say next up is a rudimentary character sheet, and maybe I can bring this to a Playtest Zero session and see what folks think of character creation within one of the starting Bulbs.  I’ve opened the doc up for comments, so if you have thoughts dear reader, fire away.  Brain fried, go read the doc, til next time!